(Technical.ly file image)
Hi! You’re reading the Pittsburgh edition of This Week in Jobs (TWIJ), a weekly newsletter written by our team at Technical.ly in partnership with InnovatePGH and the Pittsburgh Innovation District. Each week we put together for you a slate of news and fresh job opportunities in the ‘burgh. If you’re not already subscribed, you can do so here.
Here’s some news that might throw you for a loop:
The U.S. Department of Transportation released a framework last week for creating a hyperloop route that could take you from Pittsburgh to Chicago in under an hour for $93. Boy, a 500-mile-an-hour trip through a vacuum-sealed tube sounds really nice right about now.
OK, shovel-ready the hyperloop is not, but it’s a reminder that people are still thinking big and past the doom and gloom. And it’s not just getting pneumatic-tubed to Columbus or Cleveland — local companies and research institutions are churning out work to make tons of stuff not only worth waiting for, but fun waiting for.
So stop waiting, and help make some of these pies in the sky the real thing. We got the latest jobs here, sent to you with minimal air resistance.
Officials at Pennsylvania’s Department of Community and Economic Development announced $1.5 million in new grants to tech centers like Innovation Works in Pittsburgh to support startups during the economic downturn.
Breathe easy: University of Pittsburgh researchers are working on a breathalyzer-like attachment to smartphones and corresponding software that would help detect COVID-19 symptoms.
Over on the South Side, LifeX Labs is giving incubator space to biotech startups in Pittsburgh. The accelerator now has a culture page at Technical.ly with up-to-date job postings too, including a part-time role as Executive in Residence.
The Local Jobs
- Get in the middle of the fight against COVID-19 at NOVID, which has a couple mobile developer openings.
- Zensors is hiring a Data Engineer to help with its AI-powered visual sensor technology.
- Bottleneck haters, fight the good traffic-flow fight as a Software Engineer at Rapid Flow Technologies.
- UI designers interested in the AI world should take a look at this Web Developer gig at SOCO AI.
- Rhabit Analytics is searching for a full-stack Junior Software Engineer with a keen interest in the front end.
- Global law firm Reed Smith needs an IT Administrative Specialist to work in its home city of Pittsburgh.
- IQ Inc. is hiring a Software Engineer comfortable in object-oriented programming, particularly C++.
- Expedient is looking for a Web Application Engineer to help build web apps for its clients.
- Recruiter eNGINE is scouting for a Software Business Analyst on behalf of a client located south of Pittsburgh.
- OpenArc needs a Python Developer with knowledge of 3D modeling.
- Staffer ConsultUSA is hunting for a seasoned Java Developer.
- Duolingo is hiring an Engineering Manager to manage a software team.
- Zoom is looking for a developer to serve as a Technical Writer.
The Remote Jobs
- SmartLogic needs a Ruby on Rails Developer to help with its software consultancy business.
- Got an EU-member passport? Kodify is looking for a Remote Senior Fullstack Developer.
- ThoughtWorks wants to hire a polyglot for its open Remote Senior Application Developer position.
Done in a flash. TWIJ will loop back next week with a whole new set of jobs, as always.
If you want to check on new jobs in the mid-Atlantic region, go ahead and sift through Technical.ly’s jobs board any time. See you next week.
This Week in Jobs Pittsburgh: The need for wheels
This Week in Jobs Pittsburgh: Don’t say it
This Week in Jobs Pittsburgh: Be more like Chadwick
How the growth of tech and energy are shaping Pittsburgh’s workforce
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Pittsburgh