Hi! You’re reading the Pittsburgh edition of This Week in Jobs (TWIJ), a weekly newsletter written by our team at Technical.ly in partnership with InnovatePGH and the Pittsburgh Innovation District. Each week we put together for you a slate of news and fresh job opportunities in the ‘burgh. If you’re not already subscribed, you can do so here.
Break out those linen suits and flower dresses, it’s unofficially summer. It doesn’t feel quite the same this year, but hopefully you got some emotional release this weekend as part of a rather poignant Memorial Day.
With the New York Times’ Sunday somber but compelling front page, and this month marking the 75th anniversary of the Allied Forces’ victory over the Nazis in Europe, 2020’s unofficial start to summer was more time for a good cathartic cry than an epic pool party. Though some may disagree.
So forward we march. *Wipes tears, clears throat.* The exciting developments in the Pittsburgh tech world haven’t stopped (hint), so here we go with another TWIJ.
Don’t expect you to know this, but turns out there are some serious tech hubs in the U.S. outside the Bay Area and Seattle. A few weeks ago, Technical.ly brought together a panel at Introduced|Virtual, including InnovatePGH Executive Director Sean Luther, to discuss how places like Pittsburgh and Raleigh-Durham can get the word out that big things are happening there.
As Facebook expands its remote-work policy, existing satellite hubs like Pittsburgh and Philly will see an increase in recruiting efforts. Interestingly, 45% of its employees said they would consider moving if they were able to work remotely. The caveat is that salaries will adjust based on local costs of living.
The tech-based problem-solving related to the pandemic now includes Pittsburgh-based VIT Initiative’s kiosk system designed around workplace safety. The system scans both faces for identification and skin for body temperature reads.
- Catch cyber baddies at Acronis as Lead Security Researcher, just one of several new Pittsburgh-located openings at the firm. Bonus points: You’ll get to work at the Pittsburgh Innovation District, which are nice digs.
- Startup Bodo also has several open positions at once, including Compiler Engineer.
- Zoom wasted no time after its announcement of an expansion to Pittsburgh. There are not one, not two, but 27 job openings locally, including an Anti Fraud Engineer. Don’t be shy, the global economy kinda needs you on this one.
- Branding Brand has several openings at its Pittsburgh HQ, including (scroll way down) an iOS Software Engineer.
- Help make the internet less scary at Qintel, which is looking for a Senior UX Engineer.
- If 2020 isn’t dystopian enough for you, Bosch Security Systems is hiring a Machine Learning Algorithm Engineer to work on its surveillance tech.
- Recruiter Mastech Digital is looking to connect a Java Developer to a client in the banking industry.
- Attention data extraordinaires, Highmark Health is looking to take on an Associate Data Engineer.
- Time to update your Pinterest board, because Pittsburgh OG ModCloth is hiring for a Technical Project Manager.
- Near Earth Autonomy is scouring the landscape for a Robotics Engineer to help with its aerial mobility and inspection applications.
- Step into the VR world at Facebook Reality Labs, which needs a Android-proficient Software Engineer.
- Let’s skip the small talk: Apple has an opening for a Conversational Interaction Designer to work on Siri software.
- Gamers who crave a lot of responsibility, this one’s for you. Duolingo is looking for a Head of Data Science to run the show.
And of course, a few for the engineers who actually thrive (i.e., are not distracted by the television) when working from home:
- Inversion Limited is hiring a Remote Senior .Net Developer
- Scalable Path seeks a Remote .NET Core Backend Developer
- Osmosis is on the prowl for a Remote Software Engineer
That’s it for this week. Wave that cream-colored fedora over your face in the meantime to keep cool.
Next week TWIJ will be back with a whole new set of jobs, as always.
If you want to check on new jobs in the mid-Atlantic region, go ahead and sift through Technical.ly’s jobs board any time. See you next week.
Big tech companies are flocking to Pittsburgh. The foundation was laid over decades
This Week in Jobs Pittsburgh: DIY in the sky
This Week in Jobs: Spiked Edition
This Week in Jobs: Real Big Fish Edition
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly