Hi! You’re reading the Pittsburgh edition of This Week in Jobs (TWIJ), a weekly newsletter written by our team at Technical.ly in partnership with InnovatePGH and the Pittsburgh Innovation District. Each week we put together for you a slate of news and fresh job opportunities in the ‘burgh. If you’re not already subscribed, you can do so here.
Last week we mentioned Allegheny County’s esteemed status as being part of Gov. Wolf’s yellow phase in reopening businesses — well, that includes record stores. You won’t be able to get into heated conversations with Jack Black or Zoë Kravitz, but you will be able to peruse vinyl provided you have a mask and respect social distancing.
Local bookstores have received some attention in the COVID era, but apparently people are also doing curbside pickups at record stores. John Cusack would be proud.
And it’s that kind of commitment and drive that employers continue to look out for. There’s some exciting news on that front, so give the posts below a spin and see if you can make it into these companies’ Top Five All Time Greatest Job Candidates.
Be sure to check out Kim Lyons’ stellar work for Technical.ly on how researchers at the University of Pittsburgh are following in the footsteps of Jonas Salk to try to develop a vaccine for the coronavirus. It’s the first installment of our yearlong reporting series underwritten by the Pittsburgh Innovation District, so stay tuned for more in-depth articles in the coming months.
The newest tech company to reach household-name status, Zoom, announced plans last week to open a major research-and-development outfit in Pittsburgh and another in Phoenix. Between the two locations, the company plans to onboard 500 — not a typo — software engineers in the coming years. Recruitment for software engineering talent will begin immediately, so keep an eye out.
Pittsburgh’s own 412 Food Rescue won a 2020 World Changing Ideas Award from Fast Company for its Food Rescue Hero app, which connects volunteers with food distributors to get unused food into the hands of people that need it.
Two virtual career fair alerts: One America Works has its Tech Career Fair ready to go for Thursday from 2 to 7 p.m. with some of the fastest growing companies in Pittsburgh and beyond. Registration is still open.
Next week, the Pittsburgh Technology Council’s Hire UP virtual career fair is happening on May 27 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Register and find out more here.
- TalentDesk called RE2 Robotics one of the best companies to work for in 2019, and there’s six open engineering jobs open there right now.
- Director team, assemble! Niche is looking to create a formidable group using the combined powers of a new Director of Product Marketing, Director of B2B Marketing in Education, Director of Account Management, and don’t forget Director of Growth Marketing.
- This job checks out: A Pittsburgh background screening agency needs a React Native Developer.
- CGT Staffing is on the hunt for an SAS Developer with several years of experience already in their pocket.
- Computer Enterprises, Inc. has its eye out for an experienced Angular Developer/UI Developer who also knows their way around Agile.
- AV player Argo AI is scanning the area for a CAD Systems Administrator to be an important link between its software and hardware teams.
- The Auton Lab at Carnegie Mellon University is looking to hire a Project Scientist to lead a team in exploring the next big application for AI.
- Mobile Aspects is hiring a Regional Sales Specialist to pull some deals on their suite of tracking systems for hospitals.
- A client of staffing firm Pyramid Consulting has an immediate need for an Infrastructure Security Engineer who can spot and review systems weaknesses.
- It’s the Inception of job postings: Duolingo is hiring a Senior Creative Recruiter to help them find the right people for the list of openings it has.
- Google is hiring a Search Ads Program Manager with years of operations experience under their belt.
Got your outdoor office set up in the backyard? These jobs are remote:
- Mediavine is looking for an engineer hungry for a challenge to fill the role of Ad Tech Engineer.
- Tired of reality? Ario needs a Senior Web Developer to help them in the exciting world of augmented reality.
- Railroad19 is trying to work through this nagging problem of continuous growth by hiring a Cloud-Native Java Developer.
Hope you liked this week’s mix tape of job opportunities. Next week TWIJ will be back with a whole new set of jobs, as always.
If you want to check on new jobs in the mid-Atlantic region, go ahead and sift through Technical.ly’s jobs board any time. See you next week.
This Week in Jobs: Dress like Tom Wolfe
This Week in Jobs: Enter the yellow phase
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly