(Technical.ly file image)
Hi! You’re reading the Pittsburgh edition of This Week in Jobs (TWIJ), a weekly newsletter written by our team at Technical.ly in partnership with InnovatePGH and the Pittsburgh Innovation District. Each week we put together for you a slate of news and fresh job opportunities in the ‘burgh. If you’re not already subscribed, you can do so here.
There’s still technical.ly (ahhh!) a chance that the beloved annual furry convention Anthrocon could take place at the David L. Lawrence Convention Center in July. The event’s leaders said they’re holding out and keeping plans in place just in case.
Covering the face in public is not new to furries, but an event spokesperson said when you factor in how hot and sweaty it gets in those full-body costumes, they might do more harm to the public health than good.
Still, maybe, just maybe Pittsburgh will be ushered into the new world order by a cast of smiling, human-proportioned creatures. In the meantime, you have a chance to land a new job before bipedal unicorns and cheetahs descend on Downtown. We have some of the newest postings below.
Hey, some actual good old fashioned business news: Strip District-based AI-software startup Voci Technologies got bought by San Francisco outfit Medallia for $59 million. Clients that use Voci’s phone voice-recognition software include customer-service call centers.
The feds gave emergency approval to a Pittsburgh-designed medical device from ALung Technologies that removes up to 50 percent of carbon dioxide from the bloodstream through just a catheter inserted in a major vein. It could allow doctors to rely less on the use of ventilators for treating severe COVID-19 patients.
Pittsburgh Business Times’ Julia Mericle talked to local startups on how they’re coping through the massive disruption caused by pandemic. Some are changing the application of their product in anticipation of how everyday life could be different going forward, like Sparkwear, developer of a color-changing wristband designed to be used for networking and other social occasions.
Get a peek into Technical.ly’s own reaction and philosophy during a deeply uncertain moment with this published all-staff memo.
Even at a time of major economic headwinds, Technical.ly is also moving forward with expanding its journalism in Baltimore, Philadelphia and the best city on Earth (Pittsburgh). Check out how you can help with the effort.
And TWIJ is not just an irresistibly charming weekly newsletter anymore — it’s now an interview series. Episode 2 of The TWIJ Show covers the issue of deciding when it’s time to close down shop at your startup.
- Achtung! Duolingo is looking to add a Quality Assurance Specialist with experience in web and mobile testing.
- Pittsburgh is among several locations Google wants to station a Senior Interaction Designer for accessibility.
- Uber ATG is steering for an Engineering Manager to its AVLogs team.
- Datamatics Global Services Inc. is looking for someone to raise their hand for a short-term contract Learning Specialist position.
- Got the hunger for sales? Prosper Firm is looking for a commission-based Digital Marketing Consultant.
- Lasers. Robots. Need we say more? Join the forefront of an exciting field as a Robotics Engineer at the National Robotics Engineering Center at Carnegie Mellon University.
- Local staffing firm JH Technical Services is on the lookout for a Network Account Engineer with IT know-how.
- East Liberty-based BlastPoint wants to add a data-loving Senior Software Developer to its team.
- Genius Road, LLC needs a Software Development Manager with a strong background in Java.
- Traverse the world of off-road autonomy at Neya Systems, which is hiring for multiple positions at multiple levels.
- It wouldn’t be a bad time to get involved in tech for hospitals. TeleTracking Technologies is hiring a Software Engineer to develop tools for hospitals to reduce bottlenecks in their operations.
As always, Technical.ly has you covered for some jobs that are remote.
- REPAY’s software development team is in the hole one Python-based Full Stack Developer.
- Railroad19 is pulling out all the stops for a new Lead API Automated Software Development Engineer.
- All about the Benjamins? OliBank is looking to invest in a Remote FinTech Developer.
Next week TWIJ will be back with a whole new set of jobs, as always.
If you want to check on new jobs in the mid-Atlantic region, go ahead and sift through Technical.ly’s jobs board any time. See you next week.
This Week in Jobs Pittsburgh: Through the trees at warp speed
This Week in Jobs Pittsburgh: The crowd goes wild
This Week in Jobs Pittsburgh: The storm before the calm
Big tech companies are flocking to Pittsburgh. The foundation was laid over decades
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly