Hi! You’re reading the Pittsburgh edition of This Week in Jobs (TWIJ), a weekly newsletter written by our team at Technical.ly in partnership with InnovatePGH and the Pittsburgh Innovation District. Each week we put together for you a slate of news and fresh job opportunities in the ‘burgh. If you’re not already subscribed, you can do so here.
Not that we need them, but Mother Nature is giving us more reasons to stay inside and be responsible, socially-distant citizens. One minute, a ray of warm sunshine makes you curious to step outside and get some fresh air — then when you finally get your running shorts on, your windows are rattling and it’s … snowing?
So what can you do but appreciate those moments of 70-degree bliss when they come?
Maybe Easter and Passover, no doubt unique affairs this year, were all the more important even if you weren’t in the same location as all of your loved ones. Plus, who knows the next chance you’ll get to observe sacred religious traditions in front of a SpongeBob-themed Zoom background.
It doesn’t hurt to keep finding ways to appreciate all the frontline workers out there who are still going to work to keep important services running, and this photo essay is a good one.
In case you missed the webinar we told you about last week, PNC Chief Economist Gus Faucher talked about how the Pittsburgh economy likely won’t be as hard hit by the pandemic as other parts of the country. But he outlined some sobering signs of tough times ahead nonetheless.
How about some good news? Pittsburgh darling Duolingo announced it hit 1 million paid subscribers, and its subscription base grew 200% from 2018 to last year. The language-learning app also hired a CFO and general counsel (and is hiring for lots of other roles too — see the Jobs section below).
Another bright spot for those of you quarantining with animal friends: Home-grown startup VetNOW is seeing massive growth amidst the pandemic. The telehealth platform could be an important tool to allow veterinarians to keep doing their jobs and stay in business. So now your vet can see on a screen if your snake Sally is sick or simply shedding (sorry).
Here at Technical.ly, we talked to some experts on how to create engaging virtual events for your business in lieu of the IRL version. Also, check out this interview with an internet-access advocate on how the pandemic could influence thinking on cybersecurity, privacy and how we see our virtual lives.
Lastly, can’t get enough TWIJ? Christopher Wink, Philly’s resident BMOC, our very own CEO and probably lots of other cool acronyms, has launched a new weekly web interview series called The TWIJ Show. This week’s premiere episode tackles team messaging during a time of crisis. Tune in via the link.
- PPG Industries is looking to mix in a new Senior System Software Analyst to work in its Linux- and UNIX-based systems.
- Now’s your chance to be like Edward James Olmos teaching calculus. The Environmental Charter School is looking for a Technology Integrationist to help students learn tech skills so they can share their personal stories.
- ActiveSoft is looking for a Citrix Technical Specialist that has some consulting experience.
- The University of Pittsburgh’s School of Pharmacy has a fever. And the only prescription is not more cowbell, but hiring a Senior Informatics Analyst.
- ConsultUSA needs a seasoned coder to become its Lead Cloud Engineer.
- Staffing firm eNGINE is looking to hire a Linux Engineer of its own.
- If you know how to a) always b) be c) closing, you can be a winner as an Enterprise Account Executive, Cloud & Cyber Security at Expedient.
- Oxford Solutions is hunting for a Senior Big Data Developer with Hadoop experience.
- The CFO gig may be filled, but there’s still plenty of other openings at Duolingo, like Lead Product Manager.
- Google is feeling lucky about finding a Software Engineer in Pittsburgh that will work on various development teams.
- Hey Siri, set a timer for applying to Apple’s new Siri team in Pittsburgh.
- Facebook is looking for doctoral students to work with it for three to six months on its VR research.
Pleasantly surprised by your ability to cook lunch at home? These jobs are remote:
- Help make sure no more caddies get stiffed by the Dalai Lama as a Full Stack Developer at CaddieNow, a company looking to strengthen the storied vocation.
- FORM3 is searching for a Remote Senior Software Engineer to work with the latest cloud-based tech.
- Mahisoft is in need of a Senior React Native Developer to get cleanly constructed apps into the hands of consumers.
That wraps things up for the second week in April here. Next week TWIJ will be in your inboxes with a whole new set of jobs.
If you want to check on new jobs in the mid-Atlantic region, go ahead and sift through Technical.ly’s jobs board any time. See you next week.-30-
This Week in Jobs: Enter the yellow phase
This Week in Jobs: Everybody passes
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly