(Gif via Giphy.com)
Editor’s note: Every week we ship an email newsletter featuring the region’s most exciting career opportunities. We’ve lovingly called it This Week in Jobs (aka TWIJ — “twidge”). Below is this week’s edition; it’s meant to live in your inbox. Sign up for the newsletter here.
All that glitters is gold
In this newsletter, I will discuss the cultural touchstone that is Smash Mouth’s “All Star.” The internet recently celebrated the 20th anniversary of the DreamWorks classic “Shrek” and its release in U.S. theaters. If you’re not familiar with the film, please log off immediately and go watch it. (Psst: It’s streaming on Hulu.) Or you can pay homage at the Shrek Box in South Philly. We’re not kidding — it’s ranked five stars on Google Reviews.
We can’t let such a monumental, Smithsonian-worthy anniversary go by without paying tribute to its unofficial theme song. When those first notes begin to play and Steve Harwell sings the iconic opening line “Somebody once told me the world was gonna roll me,” all future generations were blessed with a pretty foolproof karaoke bop.
To close, we’ll let Smash Mouth grace you with a bit of career advice: “Hey now, you’re an all-star, get your game on, go play / Hey now, you’re a rock star, get the show on, get paid.”
Philly’s tech scene isn’t going anywhere, and the City of Philadelphia’s Mayor’s Office is committed to ensuring its future is inclusive and equitable. A video just dropped for a $500,000, city-funded initiative dubbed PHL: Most Diverse Tech Hub. Check it out and try to spot some familiar faces from Technically Media!
Flatiron School is also doing the work to get more women involved in STEM. The tech educator has been committed to diversifying the tech scene since 2012 and awarded $1 million in scholarships to women so far.
As tech changes, Technical.ly is here to keep its finger on the industry’s pulse and answer your burgeoning questions — one of which may be, what the heck is an NFT? Reporter Michael Butler answers that Q and more about how this form of ecommerce works.
- Center City-based firm The Tactile Group just posted two remote-first jobs for your viewing pleasure:
- Work on the backend of financial mainstay Vanguard:
- Ready to settle down with a steady full-time gig? Power Home Remodeling has a few options for you:
- Crack open a world of possibilities at Azavea, a geospatial app developer:
- Play your cards right and you may be Penn Interactive’s next:
- Intrigued in IoT tech? Be the next Team Lead of Development (React) at STRATIS IoT.
- Wear your boots made for walkin’ and hit the town as a Field Service Business Analyst for Burlington Stores.
- Odessa is growing and seeks a Senior Business Analyst.
- Work the Microsoft tech stack as SIG’s next Software Developer — Corporate Systems.
Sing along to your favorite music as loud as you want (unless you’ve got roommates, of course) with these full-time WFH jobs:
- Design Ambassador at Contra
- Remote Developer at ComplYant
- Remote Senior Smart Contract Developer at Bitwave
Remember, friends: Only shooting stars break the mold. See y’all next week.
Splinterlands, a blockchain-based gaming company from Philly-area founders, is looking to hire
Cool Job Alert: 1776 needs a director for its Pennovation Center campus
Climbing the engineering ladder at Azavea
This Week in Jobs Philly: Summa, summa, summatime
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Philadelphia