(Technical.ly file photo)
Events Roundup is a Technical.ly column where we highlight events happening in the Philly area each month. Got a submission? Email us the details so we can consider it for our next roundup.
Spring is in the air, and free and accessible tech events are lining your calendars this month, folks!
Philly Tech Week presented by Comcast returns this month for its 11th year, and brings with it a community calendar of virtual events and two free — yeah, you read that right — Technical.ly-produced conferences, Introduced and Developers Conference. The week kicks off this Friday, May 7.
And while you’ll definitely want to make time for these PTW21 events, we’ve rounded up some helpful sessions, workshops, networking and creative events for you to consider for the rest of the month. Let’s jump in.
May the 4th be with you, and other favorite May puns as we enter the punniest month
— Technical.ly Philly (@TechnicallyPHL) May 4, 2021
- The HUE Tech Summit is coming at you virtually this year, with a special theme on demystifying cybersecurity. On Friday, May 7, at 2 p.m., check out 16 technologists, entrepreneurs and executives speaking at this afternoon conference. Tickets are $50.
- PTW 2021 Virtual Reality Kickoff Event — Technical.ly kicks off PTW on Friday, May 7, at 4 p.m. in VR fashion this year with a virtual networking space. Your avatar will be able to check out the lineup of PTW events and interact with fellow attendees. Attendance is free. (Plus, read about Agora, the local software company behind the VR platform.)
- Technical.ly Developers Conference — Our annual Dev Conf is Tuesday, May 11, with a day’s worth of talks focused on effective technical problem solving. Check out the jobs fair, a fireside chat on navigating your engineering career or a killer panel on NFTs. Attendance is free.
- Philly Startup Leaders’ Entrepreneur Expo — The daylong PTW showcase, this year on Wednesday, May 12, also includes panel discussions and TED-style talks. Tickets are free.
- Introduced by Technical.ly Conference — Technical.ly’s conference on building better workplaces happens all day on Thursday, May 13. Hear case studies from company leaders are navigating how their people ops and other teams continue to adapt during these times, and what the future of the employee experience looks like. Attendance is free.
- Community Calendar — Don’t forget to check out the expanse of tech events on PTW’s community calendar, running from May 7 through May 15, by organizations and companies across the city. We simply can’t fit them all here, but pull out those calendars, people, and get to registering!
Author Erica Dhawan of “Digital Body Language: how to build trust and connection no matter the distance” will talk about what it means to save us time and strengthen our relationships through digital communication. Dhawan will address anxiety and Zoom fatigue and how to communicate during these increasingly digital times.
- Thursday, May 13
- 2 to 4:30 p.m.
- Register here
The University City Science Center is hosting a series of events during PTW21 on May 13 focusing on the growing cell and gene therapy industry in Philadelphia. Sessions, held virtually during the Science Center’s Venture Cafe time, will explore themes like “Why Philly? Why Now?” The future of funding in the industry, identifying gaps in K-12 life sciences education, and how to create inclusive jobs within the industry.
- Thursday, May 13
- 3 to 8 p.m.
- Free, register here
1776’s Startup Sprints series is sharing eight sessions on foundational knowledge to launch or renew growth for your company. The program begins Tuesday, May 4, and hosts sessions Tuesdays and Thursdays throughout the month. Topics include ”starting with the exit,” a “soulful sales success” and “aligning your tech and business strategy.”
- Throughout May on Tuesdays and Thursdays
- 12:30 p.m.
- Find sessions here
WITS Connect, a free, virtual monthly meetup for women working in and with tech, is hosting Amy Cliett from TechGirlz, Isis Miller from Black Girls Code, Lauren Psimaris from Girls on the Run and Ashley Turner from Philly Tech Sistas in a follow-up discussion to their SXSWEDU presentation: “Revelations from Our Pandemic Pivots.” These technologists will share insights from the SXSWEDU talk and participate in a follow-up discussion with a Q&A, plus networking.
- Thursday, May 20
- 6:30 to 8 p.m.
- Free, register here
After establishing in 2012, the Philadelphia Latino Film Festival has become the region’s only festival showing the work of emerging and established Latinx filmmakers. The festival kicks off each year with screenings, conversations, workshops and special events. This year’s festival will run for one week, beginning at the end of May.
- May 30 through June 6
- Various events, found here
Hear from these 15+ expert technologists at the (free, virtual) Technical.ly Developers Conference
How software company Agora uses VR to bridge the gap between real-world and virtual socializing
Women founders: These 25+ resources can help you build community and boost business
Countdown to Philly Tech Week 2021: Check out these first events on the community calendar
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Philadelphia