(Gif via Giphy.com)
Editor’s note: Every week we ship an email newsletter featuring the region’s most exciting career opportunities. We’ve lovingly called it This Week in Jobs (aka TWIJ — “twidge”). Below is this week’s edition. Here’s the last one we published; it’s meant to live in your inbox. Sign up for the newsletter here.
Baby, it’s cold outside.
Newsflash: It’s chilly. And maybe it’s the particularly drafty nature of our Philly rowhouse, but we take no shame in our current never-nude status, inspired, of course, by Tobias Funke of “Arrested Development.”
This protest of skin-to-air contact requires the organizational dedication to strategically keep piles of clothing spread around the house, thus ensuring a seamless bubble of warmth as we navigate the untamed chill that hovers just outside our bed covers and the steamy embrace of the shower.
Of course, staying comfortable never got us anywhere, so in the spirit of ditching our sherpa-lined comfort zones and putting ourselves out there on the job hunt this week, we will boldly trade our office mittens for fingerless gloves. Baby steps.
What’s on your agenda this week, job seekers? Perhaps this week’s newsletter will help you get started.
One was the loneliest number. Indy Hall’s Alex Hillman and SELF Philly’s Nicola Black are launching Work in Progress — a new program/community for the solopreneurs of Philly and beyond — in 2021. The accelerator, which costs $119 per month, will cover topics like how to navigate self-employment during the pandemic, build out new revenue streams, and transition from being an employee to starting their own venture. Apply here.
Boston-based Black and Latinx-led nonprofit Resilient Coders opens its doors in Philly next month with a pilot class of 10 students. The free bootcamp is on a mission to build a more equitable tech pipeline in communities that continue to miss out on opportunities in the tech sector. Learn more.
Did we just become best friends? Yup. The latest episode of our investor education podcast Off the Sidelines dives into the differences between venture capitalism and philanthropy, and what those two crazy kids can learn from one another to make an even bigger impact on their respective bottom lines.
- Custom software developer Promptworks is enthusiastically seeking pros to fill its *NEW* Software Project Manager and *NEW* Senior Software Engineer roles. We don’t typically recommend bringing pom poms to interviews, but in this case, they just might seal the deal.
- Navy Yard-based, boho-chic parent retailer URBN is hiring. Ability to identify a peplum not required.
- The Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission — Philadelphia region’s Metropolitan Planning Organization — is on the prowl for a Data Specialist.
- Woman-founded Group K Diagnostics seeks a Research Engineer to join its team in increasing accessibility to blood tests. Prior experience in microfluidics is preferred. Duh, obviously.
- The Philadelphia Inquirer is looking for a curious Senior User Researcher with experience in ethnographic research to help it better understand its readers. First project on deck relates to how sports fans engage with content and gives us our second chance of the day to bring up pom poms!
Head honchos alert:
- Experience definitely required. Cloud hosting provider Linode is hiring for two key roles on its engineering team:
- Athenian seeks a Remote Senior Software Engineer Frontend
- General Dynamics UK is hiring a Remote RD Software Developer
- Better Holdco is on the hunt for a Remote Senior Software Engineer
Stay warm but don’t forget to push yourselves out of those comfort zones this week, friends.
‘Til next week — gappy job hunting.
This Week in Jobs Philly: Back in the job search saddle
This Week in Jobs Philly: The final TWIJ of 2020
This Week in Jobs Philly: The end of career loungewear?
Demand for new drugs and vaccines are driving growth at Pinnacle 21
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Philadelphia