Editor’s note: Every week we ship an email newsletter featuring the region’s most exciting career opportunities. We’ve lovingly called it This Week in Jobs (aka TWIJ — “twidge.”). Below is this week’s edition. Here’s the last one we published; it’s meant to live in your inbox. Sign up for the newsletter here.
A career evolution?
For decades, the Phanatic has been the iconic mascot for the Phillies, equal parts lovable goofball and physical manifestation of the unbridled id of Philadelphia sports fans. But with legal issues arising involving the Phanatic’s original creators, could that soon change?
If the rights battle shakes out in the creators’ favor, the character could become a “free agent,” potentially getting scooped up by another sports team (or even a premium cable news/comedy outlet). And if that unprecedented move were to occur, who would step in to fill the Phanatic’s oversized sneakers? Maybe Gritty has another baseball-loving cousin?
Either way, like the Phanatic, you should take this time to carefully consider your options and decide on your next move. Or at least try out a new look.
Of all the aspects of the job search, salary negotiation can be one of the most stressful — especially for women. Discussing money can feel taboo and uncomfortable, and that’s why former Lyft marketing manager Hannah Marks gave a workshop at NET/WORK Philly on just that topic. If you couldn’t attend the event (we missed you!), read on to find out her tips and advice, then go into your next negotiation with the confidence to get what you’re worth. (And hey, read up on what Philly tech employers and job seekers are looking for in 2020 based on reporter Paige Gross’ chats at the event.)
Just over the river in New Jersey, Burlington (no longer just the coat factory) is building out its tech team by investing in its employees’ development. We spoke with two technologists there, Subaa Narayan and Juan Rivera, to find out about the variety of roles they’ve had and how the clothing retailer has helped them in their careers. Check it out (and explore their job listings).
Lastly, we’ve often mentioned the pilot season of “Off the Sidelines“ here — the investor education podcast produced by us at Technical.ly in partnership with Project Entrepreneur, a program by UBS — and now that all ten episodes are released, series cohost and Technical.ly CEO Chris Wink provided a look back on what we learned. If you haven’t listened to the series, these are the top takeaways from each episode. However, there’s plenty more insight and advice contained in the full interviews, so be sure to subscribe and listen to the full series.
- Clean power subscription service Inspire is looking for a pair of Senior Software Engineers — in Data Services and Acquisition.
- Chariot Solutions in Fort Washington is hiring an Android Developer.
- URBN, the fashion brand based out of the Navy Yard, needs a Senior DevOps Engineer and a Senior Front-End Engineer.
- ERP software house Deacom has a number of openings, including Software Implementation Consultant and Inside Sales Representative. Check out their Culture Page to see all their job posts.
- Information kiosk platform HootBoard is in search of someone to help with their Content Marketing / Digital Marketing efforts.
- Center City software company Engine Room has an opening for a Project Manager.
- AWeber Communications is hoping to find a new Product Manager.
- Enjoy code and coffee as a Web Development & Ecommerce Specialist at La Colombe.
- O3 World seeks a Back-End Engineer.
Unchain yourself from the physical realm with a remote job like these:
- Crossbeam’s opening for Full Stack Engineer could be remote or in-person in Philly.
- Interconnect Technologies has a position available for a Remote Back End Developer.
- YouGov needs a Remote React Developer.
That’s it for this week. Until next time, we’ll be anxiously waiting to hear what you and the Phanatic decide to do next.
Remember to check out the Technical.ly jobs board for more open roles, and happy job hunting!-30-
Looking for a new job in the social impact sector? Catch PTW20 Virtual’s INTER/VIEW on July 22
This Week in Jobs: Waking up your dream jobs
This Week in Jobs: Careers by land and space
5 ways to incorporate racial equity into your hiring practices
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Philadelphia