(Photo by Marta Rusek)
We started off the first public chat with a general updates about the big week. A few changes have occurred with PTW20 hubs since my last series update post, so here’s an updated list of participating Philly Tech Week 2020 hubs and their assigned dates:
- Friday, May 1: REC Philly and Kickoff Festival at First Friday in Old City
- Saturday, May 2: PhillyCAM
- Monday, May 4: Pennovation Center powered by 1776
- Tuesday, May 5: Temple University’s Fox School of Business
- Wednesday, May 6: Quorum at the University City Science Center
- Thursday, May 7: Introduced by Technical.ly 2020 at Convene CityView
- Friday, May 8: PTW20 Signature Event: Philly’s Nerd Met Gala at Cira Green
Next, the #philly channel buzzed with excitement as community organizers shared introductions and PTW20 plans. Here’s what’s in the queue so far for our 10th annual celebration of tech and innovation.
Friday, May 1
- Meet technologists, artists and entrepreneurs alike at the PTW20 Kickoff Festival at First Friday in Old City organized by Technical.ly! Our second annual call to support the arts will be a neighborhood-wide, family-friendly, one-night activation in Old City. The official after party will follow, at REC Philly in the Fashion District.
Saturday, May 2
- Elements of the Community, Inc. is organizing the Financial Reality Fair 2020 to give opportunities for the youth to experience some of the financial challenges and rewards they will face when they start life on their own. They will participate in real world economic interactive activities, and simulations.
- PhillyTalent and LAN run hands-on machine learning workshops with recent graduates in Center City, but Hands-on Machine Learning: PhillyTalent Data Competition PTW2020 will be a special session where they launch a data competition of their own.
- The third annual Ctrl+Shift Live Competition organized by Coded by Kids is a coding competition that empowers high school students to think boldly and build projects that change the way they interact with their communities.
Sunday, May 3
- Inspired by SXSW, TED Talks and Comic Con, the Freshwave (FRSHWV) Teen Music + Tech Festival is a youth-centered experience designed to inspire and excite! It is a playground for young music lovers, creatives and tech enthusiasts, organized by Jr. Music Executive.
Monday, May 4
- Join us for workshops and talks at Technical.ly Developers Conference, if you are new to programming or want to sharpen your skills. Get tickets here (happy hour following).
- Pennsylvania School for the Deaf is organizing Deaf-initely Philadelphia, an event that will reveal the pool of talent in Deaf and Hard of Hearing individuals as contributors to the workforce.
- At Design Sprints: Exploring Solutions to High-Stakes Problems, eCity Interactive will run group exercises in which participants will be broken up into teams to solve a business problem via a mini design sprint challenge, which will be facilitated by eCity team members.
- At the Business Resource & Innovation Center at the Free Library, join experts from some of the area’s top social impact organizations at Framing Philly’s Social Impact Scene: Where Business, Nonprofit, & Philly Meet and learn how they are using technology to streamline their organizations, reach underserved populations and engage with new audiences.
Tuesday, May 5
- The eighth annual PTW Bootstrappers Breakfast organized by Trajectify will be bringing early-stage entrepreneurs together to solve challenges, with a featured guest speaker from a local bootstrapped company.
- Journey Summit organized by Jornaya will be a thought leadership event focused on major-life purchases industries, such as automotive, education, consumer finance and insurance.
- At Energy Innovation in Philadelphia, Philadelphia Gas Works along with Temple University will host a panel on energy innovation tech and startups.
- At Excluding the Disabled: The Secret Prejudice of Tech, Accessibility Shield will share fascinating stories about how people with disabilities have innovated for us all.
- The sixth annual Women In Tech Soiree organized by Mogulette will highlight and focus on the robust life sciences and biotech sectors. This year, they will host founder and CEO of MahMee, Melissa Hanna.
- Echo Me Forward is working on the Young Pros in Tech and Healthcare Mixer, focused on young ambitious professionals that are digitally innovative and have interest in tech, biotech, healthcare, etc.
- The Imhotech Startup Showcase (Imhotep Student Pitch Competition) is a premier event where students and the community will come together to entertain pitches and solutions for problems in our community.
Wednesday, May 6
- E-Region Enterprises is bringing back the Blockchain MiniSummit. This year, the event will include a one-hour panel discussion on the state of the blockchain and three workshops: healthcare, Etherum (coding) and Corda (coding).
- AWSome Day organized by Amazon Web Service will be a free cloud training event that provides a step-by-step introduction to the core AWS services for compute, storage, database and networking.
- Join Data Core Systems for AUTOMATED Machine Learning | What’s Decreasing ML’s Cost & Time — a conversation about best fit model for businesses with a limited machine learning budget.
- At Growing Your Business with Google (SEO), Momentum Digital will offer a crash course for small and local business owners to rank at the top of Google for local searches related to their products and services, leading to increases in exposure and customers online.
Thursday, May 7
- Introduced by Technical.ly is returning for year three! This year, we’re introducing you to the ideas, people and opportunities that build better companies. Get tickets here (happy hour following).
- At Incubator Survival Guide Panel, hear about the incubator experience from incubator veterans. Whetstone Technologies, Inc. will cover application strategies, what to expect from the process and how to thrive afterward.
- At Latino Entrepreneurs: The Present and Future of Business, join Latino Entrepreneurs Group for an interactive panel of successful Latino business-owners and tech entrepreneurs who will share their journeys with running and scaling their businesses.
- Check out the Mystery in Manayunk! EY Design Studio PHL invites you to solve a mystery on Main Street by participating in a three-part, interactive session. Think creatively through a user-centered design, development and research lens as we investigate UX topics.
Friday, May 8
- Get your wearable tech, cosplay and dancing shoes ready! This year’s Signature Event will be Philly’s Nerd Met Gala (after party following). So dust off your cape and grab your leash because pups — yes, pups! — get in free (weather permitting)! Get tickets here.
- Scale Up: How to Drive Top-Line Growth and Leadership Alignment is an in-depth workshop organized by CEO Think Tank on one company’s scaling up journey to implement a strategic planning and implementation process and develop a three-year plan to accelerate growth.
- At PropTech Philly Launch and Fireside Chat, UPA is calling all proptech and urbantech startup entrepreneurs, real estate professionals, building owners, developers and investors to join a community conversation.
- At the Tech & Real Estate Showcase, ELEST Private Market Group LLC and Elest Mag are inviting startups & large companies to show their latest tech in real estate.
Saturday, May 9
- Philadelphia Federal Credit Union Kensington Derby & Arts Festival will enter its 14th year celebrating human-powered transit, neighborhood artists and local businesses in Kensington.
- At the Philadelphia Independent Film Festival, see what technologists and filmmakers are doing to interface stories with the market place while taking part in the discussion with our esteemed panelists of futurists, artists, politicians, entrepreneurs, filmmakers and activists.
Phew! If you want to join in the next conversation, save the date for the for Slack Chat # 2: Philly Tech Week 2020. There’s plenty of time to get involved, but the time to act now! Here’s are few forms to help you take the first step:
- PTW20 Event Application
- PTW20 Event Organizer Guide
- Demo Interest Form
- Speaker Interest Form
- Volunteer Interest Form
P.S. In case you missed that dog followup: Pups are invited to join our Signature Event on Friday, May 8. You’re welcome.
Here’s the data behind the 500+ jobs available at Technical.ly’s jobs fair, NET/WORK Philly
Here’s what Amplify Philly, now a nonprofit, has planned for SXSW 2020
Why you won’t want to miss the 10th annual Philly Tech Week
You can get your sweat on with Philly entrepreneurs this week
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Philadelphia