Editor’s note: Every week we ship an email newsletter featuring the region’s most exciting career opportunities. We’ve lovingly called it This Week in Jobs (aka TWIJ — “twidge.”). Below is this week’s edition. Here’s the last one we published; it’s meant to live in your inbox. Sign up for the newsletter here.
“Did you know the first French fries weren’t actually cooked in France? They were cooked in Greece.”
Wink wink, nudge nudge
Next week we celebrate dads. But can we also spend some time marveling at the phenomenon that as soon as some men become fathers, their brains appear to automatically download an endless queue of dad jokes?
For those unfamiliar, you know you’ve heard a dad joke when the following happens:
- A pun has been made. Something so cheesy you can’t help but feel kinda grate.
- An eye roll is triggered. You cover your face with your hands, shake your head in disbelief and moan at the floor, “Daaaaaad … no.”
- A person you were trying to impress magically appears just in time to hear said joke. Now your friends or, worse, your boss can see the genetics you’ve inherited and how red your face can get. Double whammy.
Admittedly, this has very little to do with tech jobs. However, if laughter is the best medicine, then perhaps this list of dad jokes can relieve the stress of the job hunt.
Now go get ‘em, kiddo!
Tomorrow’s the big day! INTER/VIEW 2019, the social impact jobs fair developed by our sister publication Generocity (presented by the Public Health Management Corporation) is an informal event featuring mission-oriented companies on the lookout for talent. The event takes place at PHMC on Wednesday, June 12, from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. Register and get all of the event details here.
Speaking of events, Super Meetup is about to go down this summer in a city near you. Just like it sounds, Super Meetup is a place where all the tech-related meetups in the city get together to form one giant meetup. Kinda like the Godzilla of meetups, in that it’s bigger than life, but without all the rage and destruction.
You’re up first, Delaware. RSVP to this FREE event in Wilmington at this link.
Keep your job, thank the bots. During Philly Tech Week 2019, Accenture Labs — hiring at its Philly branch — led a panel discussing its view on artificial intelligence, and how its true power is harnessed when working with humans, not by replacing them. This is great news for the careers in the industry, but as a general rule, let’s always remember to be nice to the bots just in case. That way if they do take over one day, they’ll keep you on the payroll.
“Why did the scarecrow win an award? Because he was out standing in his field!”
Haha, classic. Find your field below!
- IntegriChain is hiring a Data Engineer to dive into its rich data warehouse.
- Guru Technologies is on the lookout for a Senior Data Scientist.
- Fulton Financial seeks a Senior Data Delivery Engineer inspired to change lives for the better.
- Out in Fort Washington, PA, college prep school Germantown Academy is looking to hire a Computer Science Department Chair.
- Custom software consultancy PromptWorks is on the prowl for a Director of Product Design.
- Penn Mutual is looking for an influential leader to be its new Product Owner/Business Transformation Specialist.
- Investment firm Vanguard is hiring a Technical Lead — Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning Engineer.
- Customer engagement company Relay seeks a VP of Engineering.
- SideCar is hiring a Senior Go Engineer with, brace yourself, fluency in Go.
- Civtech firm Azavea seeks a DevOps Engineer.
- Stratis IoT is on the lookout for a passionate Software Engineer — Mobile Developer.
- Odessa is looking for a Business Analyst to join its team in Center City.
- Relay is also in search of a Sr Product Manager.
- Yours truly, aka Technically Media, is on the hunt for an Events Manager to produce fan favorite events like Philly Tech Week.
Work in those jammies you love so much:
- A digital marketing and analytics enterprise located “78 meters from the beach” in Sydney, Australia is looking for a Remote Sales Assistant. Reach out and say g’day. But don’t mock the accent. Have some respect, will ya?
- Thinkful, where students can take online courses to become skilled software developers, is hiring a Remote Web Dev Instructor.
- Whitespectre is looking for a Remote Lead iOS Engineer
Job fairs (like INTER/VIEW) are not only great opportunities to connect with several potential employers at once — they’re also a chance to help yourself stand out by showcasing your soft skills. Many companies now prioritize being a personality and culture fit over specific technical knowledge, and chatting face-to-face is the best way to prove you’ve got the right attitude. Also, job fairs often have bonus perks — at INTER/VIEW, you’ll have the opportunity to have your headshot taken, resume reviewed by PHMC, and can apply for consideration in our Matchmaking program.
This year, consider foregoing golf clubs, La-Z-Boys and mini fridges filled with Bud Light. Have a pun-off and give dad a taste of his own medicine. Odds are, he’ll love that even more.
Have a great week! See you next time.
Happy job hunting, friends.-30-
Meet these 10 hiring companies at Super Meetup
This Week in Jobs: Fall patterns that go great with engineering roles
This Week in Jobs: Blockbuster-grade jobs in events, data viz and UX
Meet these 10 hiring companies at Super Meetup
This Week in Jobs: Careers cooler than a Super Soaker
This Week in Jobs: Here’s an extra shot of jobs for ya
This Week in Jobs: Careers as hot as the midsummer sun
Verizon is looking for the brightest ideas on how to use its 5G technology
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Philadelphia