Editor’s note: Every week we ship an email newsletter featuring the region’s most exciting career opportunities. We’ve lovingly called it This Week in Jobs (aka TWIJ — “twidge” — here at Technical.ly HQ). Below is this week’s edition. Here’s the last one we published on the site; it’s meant to live in your inbox. Sign up for the newsletter here.
“Oh, get a job? Just get a job? Why don’t I strap on my job helmet and squeeze down into a job cannon and fire off into job land, where jobs grow on jobbies?!”
— Charlie Kelly, “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia”
Wanna rent a tape tonight?
If you want to relive the glory days of running to Blockbuster, eagerly scanning those glorious, VHS-lined walls for the new release you’ve waited eight months to rent, you’re in luck: There is exactly one store left on earth.
If you’d rather stay home, turn on your Apple TV, click exactly one time and have access to movies that came out five minutes ago, fine. Just don’t forget about all of the hardworking folks who once had to actually get in their car, race to the shelves and snag the very last tape of “The Net“ in stock. Those were the days.
Keep in mind you don’t actually have to do either of those things, since you probably just came here for the jobs. And we got ‘em, baby! Keep reading.
This week we learned that Penn Mutual has a surprising range of exciting engineering opportunities, as demonstrated by Lead Dev Shubhra Karmakar who left demanding startup life to get her hands on creative freedom and cutting-edge tech at the investment firm. Learn more at Penn Mutual’s company page, and don’t forget to skim down to the bevy of job openings.
University of Delaware has had some major wins in the startup department lately. One of the university-rooted startups making waves is Resonant Forward which just received a $440,000 grant from the Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research (MJFF). This burst of success is a good reminder to check out all of the tech and tech-adjacent staff jobs available at UD. Too many to count! Well, more than we have the energy to count. Big difference.
Technologists in or around D.C. and Baltimore, check out LawIQ, the company using data and analytics to provide insights for the energy industry. Also, quite importantly, the team is really funny. And has job openings. Win win.
Like a trip to ol’ Blockbuster, we’ve lined up a sweet list of titles for your browsing pleasure. Don’t forget the popcorn!
- 14 West is looking for a Jr Project Manager/Business Analyst
- StraighterLine is hiring a Director of Product Management (Programs)
- Asymmetrik seeks a Front-End Developer
- iVeia is prowling for a Software Engineer (Embedded/SoC)
- emocha Mobile Health is also hiring a Software Engineer
- HealthVerity is hiring a Sales Operations Manager
- Penn Mutual seeks a Software Engineer — Java
- Vanguard is on the hunt for a Full-Stack Engineer — Java. Java’s hot this week.
- Piano is looking for a VP of Client Services
- Creative Multimedia Solutions is looking for a Web Designer
- Macquarie seeks a Data Integration Engineer
- The Washington Post is hiring a Product Manager
- Upside is hiring a Full Stack Engineer
- LawIQ is looking for an Energy Infrastructure Data Scientist
- Development Seed wants to find a great Cloud Engineer
- Dcode is on the hunt for an Operations and Support Guru
- JP Morgan Chase is on the lookout for a Java Full-Stack Software Engineer
- Chatham Financial is hiring a User Experience Designer
- Capital One is on the prowl for two pros: a Sr. Mobile Engineer, Android and a Digital Storyteller — Tech College
“Own your development, continually learning and improving in your contribution. Find mentors, but do not outsource your career paths and choices. I have been blessed to be guided by strong leaders over my career but never once did I look to them to tell me my next move.
I see the most successful and impactful individuals driven by their own development, accepting the risk that comes with changing themselves and not forcing change on those around them. Never resting on the success of yesterday, but rather driving toward the opportunity of tomorrow. In a world of continuous change, success will find those that allow for new experiences and continually evolve themselves. Be comfortable being uncomfortable.”
— Greg Driscoll, SVP of service operations and chief information officer at Penn Mutual
Upcoming IRL career events
Can’t-miss events in Philly:
- Execs and entrepreneurs, there’s a one-of-a-kind technology strategy conference coming your way called Phorum 2019 at the SugarHouse Event Center in Philly on April 4. The event brings together startups in emerging technology with C-suite execs to explore the reinvention of enterprises in the digital era.
- Also remember to save the week of May 3 to 11 for Philly Tech Week 2019 presented by Comcast. That goes for all of you, Mid-Atlantic-ers.
In NET/WORK news: Baltimore! You’re up! Delaware and D.C., get ready. Our Super Bowl of career fairs is comin’ atcha.
- NET/WORK Baltimore is happening March 14 at the Thumel Business Center of the University of Baltimore. To RSVP, click here.
- NET/WORK Delaware will take place March 20 at CSC. To RSVP, click here.
- NET/WORK DC will happen on March 27 at Alley powered by Verizon. To RSVP, click here.
Weekly updates not enough? Visit our regularly updated lists of the best jobs and brightest local companies every single day, as often as you’d like. Unlike online stalking an ex, we dig the constant check-ins!
See you next week. Happy job hunting!-30-
This Week in Jobs: Memorial Day shopping for a shiny new career
These 11 tech companies will be hiring at #DevConf19
This Week in Jobs: Jobs first. Tequila never again.
Why working with the University City Science Center was a game changer for 4 Philly startups
This Week in Jobs: Which job will be your first-round pick?
This Week in Jobs: Take your job hunt to the great outdoors
This Week in Jobs: Like Disney World for tech lovers
Take a peek at the opportunities popping up at PromptWorks
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Philadelphia