(Image via Technical.ly)
Editor’s note: Every week we ship an email newsletter featuring the region’s most exciting career opportunities. We’ve lovingly called it This Week in Jobs (aka TWIJ — “twidge” — here at Technical.ly HQ). Below is this week’s edition. Here’s the last one we published on the site; it’s meant to live in your inbox.
Just a reminder (or warning, depending on how you feel about it) that next week is Valentine’s Day. Now, whether that makes your heart flutter with glee or palpitate with dread, know that we at Technical.ly love you, boo bear — you big, beautiful, job-hunting sweetcake.
And although we can’t hold your hand whilst strolling down the beach during sunset, or dangle chocolate-covered strawberries into your mouth on a bearskin rug, we can whisper sweet job-related nothings into your inbox, such as …
Full benefits packages …
Free lunch Fridays …
Dog-friendly offices …
So read on, sweet snookums, you delicious little pudding pop, as we adoringly drape you in the warm embrace of a loving career.
How does that super old saying go? “Thou doth not assume financial businesses are stuffy and boring”? Yes, that’s the one. Well, it definitely applies to Penn Mutual. The investment services firm may have been around since 1847, but it sure doth knows a lot about cutting-edge tech. Learn more about the financial institution’s high-impact engineering opps, casual Friday culture and sweet lineup of tech gigs.
It’s here, it’s here! Technical.ly’s realLIST — a yearly roundup of Philly startups to watch — class of 2019 has just been announced. If you’re looking for a startup that fits your skill set (or can help you build the one you want) and aligns with your personal mission, keep this baby in your back pocket. It’s like your own little black book for hot Philly startups, and features a ton of rising companies you’ll want to have on your radar.
Convene, the national, tech-enabled coworking/meeting/event space company that includes locations in Philly and D.C., is expanding. Unlike other well-known coworking spaces, Convene can host everything from small one-hour meetings to mega, multi-day conferences for up to 600 people. As the company continues to grow its footprint in D.C., be sure to check out its wide range of career openings across tech, operations, marketing, design and more.
Before you dive in, please imagine that anything in italics is being whispered sweetly into your ear in a Valentine’s-inspired but HR-approved way.
Philly ops pros and project managers:
- Software company Weblinc — creator of the ecommerce retailer platform WorkArea — seeks an Agile Project Manager. Pup-friendly, located over delicious National Mechanics restaurant. Mmmm.
- Quotapath — Located in Center City, Philly and land of the quirky, Austin — is hiring a Product Manager. Generous equity and half-day Fridays year-round. Ooh la la!
- Fintech startup offering healthier consumer financing, Perpay, is hiring an Operations Specialist. Beautiful, greenhouse-style office, competitive salaries and gym subsidies.
Philly marketing masters:
- Yours truly (Technical.ly, in case you forgot what you were reading or haven’t had coffee yet; no judgement) is looking for a savvy, self-motivated Marketing Manager. Competitive health coverage, delightful desk mates. Yasss …
- Insurance services firm Penn Mutual is hiring a Vice President, Marketing Communications. On-site fitness center and yearly volunteering opportunities. Oh, baby.
- Moto-centric ecommerce retailer RevZilla seeks an Email Marketing Specialist.
Citizens of our nation’s finest (OK, only) capital:
- Iconic news publication The Washington Post is hiring for TWO coveted dev jobs: Front End Developer/Engineer — ARC Engineering and Senior Software Engineer. Number 8 on the World’s Most Innovative Company list by FastCompany. Oh my!
- Nava is looking for both an Experienced Software Engineer — Back-End and an Infrastructure Engineer. Sixteen weeks of fully paid parental leave with meal delivery.
“You know that classic cameo Will Arnett had on The Office? He came to his job interview with a three-step plan to double profits but would only share it if he was hired. I think the single clearest differentiation between a good interview and a great one is preparedness. If you really care about a role, if you really think you’d be a good fit for it, you have to come with some kind of plan.
“Depending on the role, it can be small or big. If you’re an engineer, it can be an effective communication tool from your last company’s scrum. If you’re in sales, it might be a low-cost rewards program. The point is to have put some sort of effort in localizing the idea for the organization at which you’re interviewing.
“Doing this does a few crucial things: If you aren’t motivated to do this, you probably don’t actually want the role that much; if you present something that feels really off, you might actually be better suited elsewhere; and if it fits well in unexpected ways, you stand out.”
— Christopher Wink, Technical.ly CEO
Upcoming IRL career events
Technical.ly’s curated tech jobs fair NET/WORK is coming up soon! We build a no-pressure environment where employers and attendees can interact and get to know one another. Pant suits and ties are optional and conversations that dig deep are encouraged:
- NET/WORK Philly goes down Feb. 26 at The Fillmore Philadelphia. To RSVP, click here.
- NET/WORK Baltimore is happening March 14 at Thumel Business Center of the University of Baltimore. To RSVP, click here.
- NET/WORK Delaware will take place March 20 at CSC. To RSVP, click here.
- NET/WORK DC will happen on March 27 at Alley powered by Verizon. To RSVP, click here.
- Customer Support Manager, Linode (Philly)
- Mobile Developers, Chariot Solutions (Philly)
- Data Migration Lead, Tempest (DC)
- Product Manager, 14 West (Baltimore)
- Business Analyst, CSC (Delaware)
Thanks for joining us this week, friends. And remember, no matter what the date, you always deserve a job you love. Because you’re worth it.
Wait, that’s someone else’s slogan … never mind.
Happy job hunting! See you next week!-30-
This Week in Jobs: Careers as hot as the midsummer sun
This Week in Jobs: Gaze straight into the eyes of these new jobs
This Week in Jobs: Hot dogs and hot jobs
Why Linode sent this manager to Mumbai for 7 months
This Week in Jobs: Purrfect gigs for senior-level pros
This Week in Jobs: Puns and puns of jobs
This Week in Jobs: Hearing ‘new jobs’ is music to our ears
This financial services firm offers global opportunity in the heart of Philly
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Philadelphia