Editor’s note: Every week we ship an email newsletter featuring the region’s most exciting career opportunities. We’ve lovingly called it This Week in Jobs (aka TWIJ — “twidge” — here at Technical.ly HQ). Below is this week’s edition. Here’s the last one we published on the site; it’s meant to live in your inbox.
Weekly “Office” quote
“An office is a place to live life to the fullest, to the max. … An office is a place where dreams come true.”
Michael Scott, “The Office“
New year, same delightful you
The corks have popped. It’s a new year, folks! That magical time when we gleefully countdown, close our eyes and hope we turn into completely new (better) people at the stroke of midnight. When we vow to be doubly productive at work and to finally get rid of that pile of single socks waiting for a match that will never, ever materialize.
But allow us, if you will, to introduce an alternate approach this year: Don’t hope for a “new you.” Don’t start fresh. Why wipe your slate clean when you could be proud of all those hard-earned chalk marks?
One of the most powerful things you can cultivate over years and years of working your butt off is experience. Experience teaches us to be resilient and resourceful. It’s how we learn to swim after sinking. Or, in an even more compelling example, it’s how little orphan Annie tapped into the street smarts she developed at the school of hard knocks to charm her way into Daddy Warbucks’ house.
So this year, show the world where you’ve been. Proudly flaunt that dry, dust-covered slate!
But then wash your hands. Chalk is really messy.
The McDonald’s Hamburglar may have been a menace, but at least he was easy to spot. Today, tracking financial criminals requires a touch more sophistication — although, sadly, fewer chances to eat hamburgers. Enter QuantaVerse, the creators of an AI-based platform for recognizing risky financial transactions by money launderers to human traffickers. QuantaVerse recently sold a suite of software solutions to help Cali-based, Chinese-American Cathay Bank streamline its anti-money-laundering compliance and financial crime investigations. To be the Liam Neeson of cracking down on financial crime, check out job openings at QuantaVerse’s Wayne office here.
Look alive people, this is not a drill! Tridiuum, makers of a software platform that tracks behavioral health markers just raised a whopping $9.5 million in Series B funding. The Center City-based startup plans to use the funds to scale its platform and, drumroll please, double its size in the next 12 months. Drink in that sweet taste of promise, friends. Then check out Tridiuum’s job scene here.
NET/WORK Philly is back, baby. And it’s gonna be glorious. The sixth annual Super Bowl of job fairs will be taking over The Fillmore Philly on Feb. 26. The last NET/WORK event brought together over 50 tech companies ready to hire, so if you’re on the fence, just jump on over. As always, the event is hoodie-friendly and the La Colombe free of charge. Register here.
UX and design pros of Philly, right this way:
- Fintech startup Perpay seeks a Product Designer to design, implement, analyze, and iterate upon product ideas.
- Full-service branding agency — and creators of those riveting Eagles hype videos — 160/90 is hiring a Digital Producer.
- Custom software builder PromptWorks is looking for a UX Designer with experience across everything from user journeys and wireframing, to brand and style guide design.
Philly devs, you’re up:
- Pinnacle 21 — creators of industry-leading clinical data standardization platform that streamlines the drug approval process — seeks a Senior Software Engineer. Meaningful work and unlimited vacay. Happy new year to you.
- Software developer Chariot Solutions seeks Full Stack React Developers (plural) to take advantage of its Free Lunch Friday benefit.
- Vanguard is hiring a self-motivated Senior Front End Engineer. Lots o’ perks at this surprisingly hip investment firm in Malvern.
- GoPuff — the on-demand convenience delivery service app — seeks a Test Engineering Lead to join a team that’s “growing faster than the Kardashian family.”
Movers and shakers of the Mid-Atlantic, check these out:
- JP Morgan Chase in Delaware is hiring a Hadoop, Big Data Associate.
- CSC in Delaware seeks a Business Analyst.
- Chatham Financial in Kennett Square is lookin’ for a stellar User Experience Designer.
- Asymmetrik in Baltimore is on the hunt for a Front End Developer.
New section alert! Because we know the job hunt can be a grind, “Hot Tip!” will feature advice and how-tos straight from pros at local tech companies.
First up, Liam Munley, talent acquisition lead for Pinnacle 21, shares some advice on how to wow at the resume phase:
“Be specific and explain your piece of the pie. More and more, we’re seeing résumés that say something along the lines of ‘I worked on this application,’ and maybe they added what that application did. To help distinguish yourself from other candidates, explain what YOU did on the project and how it contributed to the project’s success.”
- Cloud Operations Engineer, RevZilla
- Senior Software Engineer in Test, Instructure (FKA Practice)
- Philly Tech Week Social Contractor, Technically Media
- Sales Quality & Training Manager, Inspire
Thank you for including us in your job hunt this past year, dear friends. We’ve been thrilled to be your guide.
Here’s to a wonderful new year of searching for the career that will make your heart (and your bank account) go “Thump thump thump!”
See you next week! Happy job hunting.-30-
This Week in Jobs: Memorial Day shopping for a shiny new career
These 11 tech companies will be hiring at #DevConf19
This Week in Jobs: Jobs first. Tequila never again.
Why working with the University City Science Center was a game changer for 4 Philly startups
This Week in Jobs: Which job will be your first-round pick?
This Week in Jobs: Take your job hunt to the great outdoors
This Week in Jobs: Like Disney World for tech lovers
Take a peek at the opportunities popping up at PromptWorks
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Philadelphia