Editor’s note: Every week we ship an email newsletter featuring the region’s most exciting career opportunities. We’ve lovingly called it This Week in Jobs (aka TWIJ — “twidge” — here at Technical.ly HQ). Below is this week’s edition. Here’s the last one we published on the site; it’s meant to live in your inbox.
Resist the sweatpants
In truth, it’s a difficult time of year to stay motivated. Would it be easier to succumb to the holiday season, secretly online shopping through conference calls, wearing extra baggy sweaters to the office to minimize the appearance of turkey weight and sneaking small sips of spiked eggnog throughout the day? Yes, of course.
Would it be cozy and delicious to slip into a tryptophan-induced, Vince Guaraldi-jazzed haze straight through the rest of November and December? Obviously. That’s the dream.
Yet now more than ever, we must resist the urge to become shopping-obsessed couch potatoes. For just like roasting a jumbo-sized turkey, the job hunt takes effort, patience and a mighty force of hunger.
So in the spirit of the holidays, baste your cover letters with care. Plump them up with the fatty juices that are your talents. Shop around for the best opportunities. Then get up and fight for the job of your dreams with the passion of 300 parents in the toy department at Walmart on Black Friday.
Unfortunately, not all risky business is as fun and sexy as a carefree Tom Cruise dancing around in his tighty whities. That’s why Formativ, a startup using predictive AI to measure and reduce online risk, earned $650,000 in seed funding to continue fueling its fraud-reducing platform for companies that gather information from online forms. The growing Center City startup currently has four employees based in Philly (and six more in Vietnam), so keep your eyes peeled for job openings here.
Just like Santa delivering toys down the chimney, goPuff is about make a lot of good little job-seekers squeal with glee when it opens its own jolly sack of presents. The on-demand convenience delivery app has announced its plans to build a new $4 million HQ at 3rd and Spring Garden in NoLibs. The 30,000-square-foot warehouse will create 150 new full-time jobs at its main offices, plus another 400 warehouse jobs throughout greater Pennsylvania by 2022. Guess that means Philly made it onto the “nice list” this year. No need to wait to apply. There’s plenty of jobs are available at goPuff’s current Callowhill HQ.
Devs, feast your eyes on these bad boys:
- Chatham Financial is hiring a Software Developer in Test. Don’t fret, techies: No ties required.
- IntegriChain is hiring a Data Scientist who is part statistician, part developer and part analyst. Also hoping that special someone is willing boldly go where no data resource has gone before. Intrigue …
- Motorcycle eCommerce retailer RevZilla seeks a Cloud Operations Engineer with major tech chops to join its team of “juggernauts.”
- Chariot Solutions is looking for Full Stack React Developers (plural!). And take note: We’ve got a four-time Philadelphia Top Workplace winner here.
- Digital consulting firm Hero Digital seeks a Senior Front End Developer with deep tech chops and experience building modern, interactive websites. Also doesn’t hurt it you’re a go-to expert on JS.
PMs and ops, here’s a serving for you, too:
- Vistar Media is hiring a Project Manager with super organizational skills and 3+ years experience as a project manager for a software team.
- Civtech firm Azavea, specializing in mobile and web geospatial data applications, is also looking for a Project Manager interested in joining its Urban Applications team.
- Microlending fintech startup Perpay is looking for a passionate recent grad to be its new Operations Specialist.
Yours truly is looking for a couple of clever, collaborative pros to fill primo spots on the Technical.ly team:
- Lead the Technical.ly editorial team across four markets as the Technical.ly Managing Editor.
- Manage our top portfolio events like NET/WORK tech jobs fairs and Super Meetup as the Technical.ly Events and Experiences Manager.
- Keep us on track to deliver a great user experience to our readers and clients as the Technical.ly Client Success Manager.
- Support Engineer, Energage
- Director of Marketing, Proscia
- Makerspace Coordinator, Bryn Mawr College
- Account Director, Hero Digital
- Junior Software Developer, Deacom
Stay focused this season, folks. We’re here for you! In fact, check out our new job matching program, Technical.ly Match Beta, and let us set you up with great job.
See you next week. Happy job hunting!-30-
This Week in Jobs, Special Edition: College degree not required
Reclaiming the hiring process might be the new/old business model to sustain local news
This Week in Jobs: Winter is fickle, but the tech job scene is on fire
Pitch to speak at Comcast Labs Connect’s data security conference
This Week in Jobs: Get “Fyred” up for these bad boys
This Week in Jobs: Winter is here, and so are some sweet gigs
This Week in Jobs: Pricey divorces and an abundance of dev gigs
How teamwork is setting the standard for data standardization at Pinnacle 21
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Philadelphia