(Screenshot via Sotheby's)
Editor’s Note: Every week we ship an email newsletter featuring the region’s most exciting career opportunities. We’ve lovingly called it This Week in Jobs (aka TWIJ (“twidge”) here at Technical.ly HQ). Below is this week’s edition. (Here’s the last one we published on the site (it’s meant to live in your inbox).)
Thanks! — @zackseward
Gnarly Shred Sesh
Did you ever notice how many awesome things you can shred? A sick wave. An electric guitar. Sensitive documents. Cheese.
Even shredding a painting worth $1.4 million, like Banksy did last weekend, caused its value to soar.
Though we’ve never heard of anyone shredding a networking event, we’re not sure why you couldn’t. After all, in its colloquial usage, Urban Dictionary tells us it’s all about having “a go hard attitude with a conquer all mentality.”
Why not give it a whirl at next week’s NET/WORK Suburbs event on Oct. 17 at Turn5 in Paoli, Pa.? Make some connections, get a new headshot, bowl for a bit. Maybe even land an interview. Really shred it up, people. Shred it up good.
Here’s a new city slogan idea: “Philadelphia — pleasantly surprising out-of-towners for years.” Case in point, India-born software engineer Abhijeet Srivastava never intended on moving to Philly, but after taking a job at adtech company Vistar Media, he learned that living in the City of Brotherly Love was actually quite delightful. Srivastava talks taking advantage of life in the Art Museum area, hiking in the Wissahickon and considering fostering a fur friend. Take a gander at Vistar Media’s job openings and you might just be interviewed by the Srivastava himself.
Sales Engineer Matt Dunphy rocked our socks off when he showed us the ropes of working at punk-influenced, Old City software development firm Weblinc. The company recently transitioned from a website services provider to a software company, featuring its proprietary platform for ecommerce retailers, WorkArea. With the biz model shift came a need to hire more client-facing technologist roles. Learn what Weblinc is looking for from job candidates and about its uniquely punk rock ethos, here. P.S. Interest in punk music and mohawks not required. Just bring a DIY attitude and you should fit in just fine.
Got a few brilliant ideas for changing the world, but don’t got the time to bring ‘em to life? Azavea takes civtech innovation to the next level by giving employees a benefit it calls “10% Time.” Employees can use 10 percent of their working hours on any side project they want within the realm of learning, research and development. Curious how they’ve put it to use? Check this out. Then when you’re done, peruse the job openings and revisit that idea diary we know is tucked under your mattress.
UX Designers, it’s go time:
- Do-gooders, here’s a place to do that voodoo that you do so well. Socially-minded web development company Message Agency is hiring a User Experience Designer to serve it’s nonprofit, university and foundation clients.
- Branding agency Monroe Creative Partners is looking for a junior-to-mid-level “techie with creative talent or a creative with a knack for tech” to fill its Creative Technologist (Interactive Designer/Front-End Developer) role.
- Fintech startup Perpay seeks a Product Designer to whip big ideas into actual products.
Senior Engineers, snacks and software are calling your name:
- ShopRunner is looking for a Senior Quality Engineer to amp up its Quality culture. Robust office snack station included.
- IntegriChain — a medtech firm full of standing-desk enthusiasts — is hiring a data-loving Senior Business Intelligence Engineer.
- Practice (Instructure) seeks a Senior Software Engineer in Test who’s willing to use any means necessary to test its edtech software. Thankfully it also offers 100 percent paid insurance. Go nuts!
Grab a RedBull, Mid-Atlantic Marketing and Social Managers. These growing companies are looking for enthusiasm:
- The Institute of Marine and Environmental Technology in Baltimore is hiring a Harbor Launch Incubator Manager to help support economic development and entrepreneurship.
- Personalization vendor Monetate is looking for a highly enthusiastic marketer with 5+ years experience to be its Program and Events Manager in Philly.
- Philadelphia-based marketing agency DMi Partners seeks a Manager, Email & CRM.
- Lead Software Engineer, ShopRunner
- Senior Business Analyst, Market Access Advisory, IntegriChain
- Technical Recruiter, Stevens Capital Management LP
- Vice President of Sales, Interim, Waterstone LLC
- Software Engineer, PromptWorks
- Infrastructure Engineer, Temple University Library
Thanks for joining us this week, folks. Don’t forget to register for NET/WORK Suburbs! We’ll be there, armed with a cheese grater, professional grade document shredder and “conquer all” mentality, ready to shred with you.
See you next week!-30-
This Week in Jobs: Recognition for women in tech, jobs for all
This Week in Jobs: The Blockbuster of career newsletters
All of your employees are brand ambassadors. Yup, even the unhappy ones
Join the team at Odessa working to shake up the global leasing industry
Philly tech companies are trying these 4 strategies to bridge the gender gap
Philly’s tech industry added 8,000 new jobs since 2013
Tech execs: Here’s how you can make layoffs a less traumatic experience
How this Vistar Media software engineer succeeds on an ‘inclusive team’
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Philadelphia