(Photo by Flickr user Rise of the Rest, used under a Creative Commons license)
Who’s gonna win investor and AOL founder Steve Case’s $100,000 next week?
Case is coming to Philly for his “Rise of the Rest” tour next Tuesday (did someone say the Pope was coming?) and he’ll be hosting a pitch competition from 4-6 p.m. at the National Constitution Center.
More than 130 startups applied to pitch and the following eight were chosen.
The $100,000 will be convertible debt, said spokesman Anthony Stipa, who’s helping with PR for the local tour.
If you’re the betting kind: Scholly’s Christopher Gray is definitely the one with the most pitch competition experience and star factor — dude won Under Armour CEO Kevin Plank’s pitch competition earlier this year and, of course, he won over the celebrity investors on ABC’s Shark Tank — but maybe someone will come from behind, like the team of ShopRunner engineers behind edtech startup Byndr or Whose Your Landlord’s young founder Ofo Ezeugwu. Betting odds TBA.
Here are the startups that’ll be pitching, with descriptions provided by Stipa:
- SmartPlate: A plate that instantly analyzes everything you eat
- Scholly: An easy way to find scholarships
- I’m Sorry to Hear: Funeral planning online made easy
- Byndr: Mobile learning management system for emerging markets
- Whose Your Landlord: Platform to review a landlord and find your home
- Wash Cycle Laundry: Sustainable commercial laundry service
- Life.Io: Solution that motivates and rewards users for tracking and improving health
- Focus Food: Urban, aquaponics farming on rooftops and in old warehouses
Curalate, one of Center City’s most prominent early tech darlings, has been acquired
Fintech startup Nth Round aims to help company leaders, employees manage their equity
Money Moves: These 8 Philly-area companies raised more than $118M total this spring
Philly PPE’s vending machines can replenish your mask supply starting this month
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Philadelphia