(Photo by Yulia Novozhilova)
The second set of the city-backed StartUp PHL ‘Call for Ideas’ grants focus on training and retaining talent in Philadelphia. The grants were created “to support the culture” of the Philly tech scene, said city Commerce Director Alan Greenberger in an interview last month.
Full disclosure, as listed below, Technical.ly applied for and, in partnership with another community group, received one of these grants. This reporter was not part of the process.
According to a release, the awardees, which were announced today at SevOne’s new Center City Office, include:
- PennApps Fellows Internship Program: $2,500 per student participant to support a local program connecting student interns from across the nation to Philadelphia based companies for a 10-week internship during the summer of 2014.
- Philadelphia Fashion Incubator: $25,000 to create a series of monthly seminars, panels and interactive workshops focused on the business of fashion for the design community.
- Zivtech Developer Boot Camp: $24,000 to teach a six-week developer bootcamp to a class of 30 participants.
- NextFab Fellows Coop Program: $25,000 to support four co-op fellowships. Students will receive training and materials while gaining experience working for NextFab companies who struggle to find talent.
- Technical.ly/Philly Startup Leaders: $25,000 to create and execute a series of eight workshops to better connect the PHL tech community to universities and students. (Find coverage of the event that sparked this idea here.)
These are the 13 winners of Philly’s new grant program for underrepresented founders
Digital Literacy Alliance snags $500K to support immigrant-serving orgs and previous grantees
Vote for these local tech nonprofits to win up to $200K
7 biz resources we learned about at Super Meetup Philly 2019
The Philly courts website is finally back up
Philly could finally be getting a dockless bike sharing program
Philly’s NorthStar Conference won’t be back in 2019. Here’s what to expect instead
Paid family leave adds to the perks at Chariot Solutions
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Philadelphia