(Photo by Flickr user @cheshireeastcouncil, used under a Creative Commons license)
With more than $36 billion in revenue in 2013 and 6,000 employees, Wilmington-based E. I. du Pont de Nemours and Company is the biggest company in Philadelphia’s surrounding counties in South Jersey and Delaware, according to data from the Greater Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce.
We looked at jobs data from counties in New Jersey and Delaware that are considered part of the Philadelphia region, including New Jersey’s Camden, Burlington and Gloucester counties and Delaware’s Kent and New Castle counties. See the 50 largest employers in Philadelphia and its four surrounding Pennsylvania counties here.
Here’s what we noticed:
- While Comcast has a large footprint in Philadelphia and its surrounding Pennsylvania counties, it doesn’t make the list of biggest employers in South Jersey and Delaware.
- These counties in New Jersey and Delaware boast a hefty number of employees in the healthcare industry. Over 12,000 citizens work in the healthcare industry in New Jersey’s Philly-area counties, and 2,000 in Delaware’s Philly-area counties, according to the data.
- Lockheed Martin is the largest employer in South Jersey with 5,000 employees at its Moorestown location, according to the Chamber data.
- It’s hard to make a direct comparison between this list and the Pennsylvania list because there’s no standard for the data nor did the governments of New Jersey or Delaware provide this data. The New Jersey Department of Labor did not respond to requests for data, and the State of Delaware does not make this data public — it stopped doing so in 2006, said George Sharpley, chief at the Delaware Department of Labor. (This differs from Pennsylvania, which posts the biggest employers in the state on its website each quarter.) So you won’t find “federal government” or “city government” on this list, but that could be due to how researchers accounted for government entities.
Below, find the 25 largest employers in New Jersey and Delaware. Click here to read the full list of the 50 biggest employers in New Jersey and Delaware via the Greater Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce.
Find a breakdown of the 50 biggest employers in New Jersey counties: Burlington, Camden and Gloucester, according to data from Choose New Jersey.
Top 25 Employers in Philadelpia region counties in New Jersey and Delaware:
- E. I. du Pont de Nemours and Company
- Lockheed Martin Corporation
- Cooper Health Care
- AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals LP
- University of Delaware
- MBNA Consumer Services Inc.
- The Cooper Health System
- Dupont Hospital For Children
- AstraZeneca Limited Partnership
- JP Morgan Chase and Co.
- Our Lady of Lourdes Medical Center Inc.
- Virtua-West Jersey Health System Inc.
- Bancroft Rehabilitation Services
- Delaware Department of Health and Social Services
- Rowan University
- NJ Protocall Inc.
- The Nemours Foundation
- The New Jersey Transit Corporation
- New Jersey Department of Human Services
- 21st Century North American Insurance Company
- Washington Township Board of Education
- Agilent Technologies, Inc.
- MBNA Marketing Systems, Inc.
- Integrity Staffing Solutions, Inc.
- Underwood Memorial Hospital, Inc.
This Week in Jobs: Winner winner chicken dinner
This Week in Jobs: Don’t labor too hard over this list of great gigs
Nominate an outstanding dev for the inaugural Philly RealLIST Engineers
7 biz resources we learned about at Super Meetup Philly 2019
Meet these 10 hiring companies at Super Meetup
A Philly fintech company is #5 on this year’s Inc. 5000 list
This Week in Jobs: Fall patterns that go great with engineering roles
Paid family leave adds to the perks at Chariot Solutions
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Philadelphia