(Photo by Mitchell Leff for the City of Philadelphia)
A year ago, six new City Council members made Philadelphia’s legislative body slightly younger, moderately more diverse and, it seems, more modern in their constituent services.
Joined by two other sign ups in early 2012 in an age in which social media engagement is tied to transparency, all of Philadelphia’s City Council members have Twitter accounts, except for one: 20-year veteran Jannie Blackwell, representing Southwest and West Philly, including University City.
Compared to peers, 16 of 17 is no embarrassment, as there are those big cities that are worse off, and, to be sure, it seems older legislators (and their staffs) have seemed more comfortable with Facebook (just like your older relatives, Blackwell’s staff uses Facebook and has among the most active audiences there), but the ability for public discourse online is rarely matched outside of Twitter.
To be fair, the accounts of council members Denny O’Brien, Mark Squilla and Marian Tasco have been inactive for months, and Brian O’Neill’s, among others, are inconsistent at best. But having the account is half the battle.
Find a Twitter list of all 16 Council members on Twitter here.
- Mark Squilla (in office since 2012) @cmmarksquilla* joined March 7, 2011#
- Kenyatta Johnson (in office since 2012) @johnson2serveu joined March 7, 2009
- Jannie L. Blackwell (in office since 1991) **Only Council member not on Twitter**
- Curtis J. Jones, Jr. (in office since 2008) @Mr4thDistrict joined June 30, 2010
- Darrell Clarke (in office since 1999) @Darrell_Clarke joined Feb. 9, 2012
- Bobby Henon (in office since 2012) @BobbyHenon joined Jan. 7, 2012
- Maria QuiÃ±ones-Sanchez (in office since 2008) @MariaQSanchez joined Dec. 28, 2009
- Cindy Bass (in office since 2012) @cmcbass joined July 8, 2009
- Marian B. Tasco (in office since 1988) @mbtphillydem* joined April 30, 2010
- Brian J. O’Neill (in office since 1989) @ONeill4NEPhilly* joined July 22, 2010
- At-Large: Blondell Reynolds Brown (in office since 2000) joined @CouncilwomanBRB joined March 8, 2010
- At-Large: W. Wilson Goode, Jr. (in office since 2000) @Goode_AtLarge joined Feb. 3, 2012
- At-Large: Bill Green (in office since 2008) @Green4Philly joined March 7, 2010
- At-Large: Bill Greenlee (in office since 2006) @BillGreenlee15 joined Oct. 19, 2009
- At-Large: James Kenney (in office since 1992) @JimFKenney joined Sept. 20, 2011
- At-Large: Denny O’Brien (in office since 2012) @Denny4Council* joined Feb. 7, 2011
- At-Large: David Oh (in office since 2012) @DavidOhPhilly joined March 25, 2011
#According to this site. *Don’t appear to be active accounts.
Check out some great numbers comparing Philly City Council with others from this Pew report.
What Data Jawn taught us about the opioid crisis, City budgets and cartoons
The office that oversees the City’s tech teams is in transition
These adoptable floofs at Morris Animal Refuge have AI-generated names
This apprenticeship program is opening the door for candidates with nontraditional backgrounds
Why the Digital Literacy Alliance’s third grant round is all about the 2020 census
The Philly revenue department’s data-driven strategy to upend city bureaucracy
Meet the 17 people tasked with advising Philly on smart city best practices
How AI can help humans, not replace them
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Philadelphia