If anyone in Philly was really sad about missing the actual South by Southwest conference in Austin, Texas this year, Barcade’s vintage arcade games — not to mention local techies — were available for consolation.
Technically Philly, Geekadelphia, Indy Hall and Young Involved Philadelphia organized and hosted the Fishtown event, which attracted more than fifty people to chat, have a beer, play arcade games and generally celebrate more on #whyilovephilly and less on #SXSW.
Thanks to the Barcade’s generosity, anyone wearing a #notatsxsw lime green wristlet was privy to the happy hour special — a dollar off drinks — until 9:00pm.
Although the party was for those in the Philadelphia community who passed on the popular SXSW event for one reason or another, plenty of Philadelphians did make the trip to Austin for the week to present and learn from others in the tech community.
Locals who represented Philadelphia there include:
- Voxeo developer Mark Headd spoke about leading two hackathons, one in Philly, another in Baltimore
- Happy Cog led several panels, including one on improving web development RFPs
- DreamIt Ventures hosted a co-founder speed dating
- Our own Sean Blanda spoke about local technology news
- Updated: “Marc Weil from Cloudmine was also on a panel offering advice to startups on picking a co-founder.”
- Digitas Health had a presence.
B. PHL claims to be the ‘first’ citywide innovation festival. But is it?
Philly’s NorthStar Conference won’t be back in 2019. Here’s what to expect instead
Small biz owners: How do you fund the hustle?
How Macquarie blends tech-fueled financial services with global opportunity
National Maker Faire shut down, but the Philly group says its not going anywhere
BIO 2019 was in Philly this week. Here’s what you missed
The top 10 reasons to attend NextFab’s 10th anniversary party
This apprenticeship program is opening the door for candidates with nontraditional backgrounds
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Philadelphia