If anyone in Philly was really sad about missing the actual South by Southwest conference in Austin, Texas this year, Barcade’s vintage arcade games — not to mention local techies — were available for consolation.
Technically Philly, Geekadelphia, Indy Hall and Young Involved Philadelphia organized and hosted the Fishtown event, which attracted more than fifty people to chat, have a beer, play arcade games and generally celebrate more on #whyilovephilly and less on #SXSW.
Thanks to the Barcade’s generosity, anyone wearing a #notatsxsw lime green wristlet was privy to the happy hour special — a dollar off drinks — until 9:00pm.
Although the party was for those in the Philadelphia community who passed on the popular SXSW event for one reason or another, plenty of Philadelphians did make the trip to Austin for the week to present and learn from others in the tech community.
Locals who represented Philadelphia there include:
- Voxeo developer Mark Headd spoke about leading two hackathons, one in Philly, another in Baltimore
- Happy Cog led several panels, including one on improving web development RFPs
- DreamIt Ventures hosted a co-founder speed dating
- Our own Sean Blanda spoke about local technology news
- Updated: “Marc Weil from Cloudmine was also on a panel offering advice to startups on picking a co-founder.”
- Digitas Health had a presence.
Why you won’t want to miss the 10th annual Philly Tech Week
You can get your sweat on with Philly entrepreneurs this week
Meet 10 legendary innovators from our city’s past for the 10th annual Philly Tech Week
What’s the future of the internet — and society?
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Philadelphia