If anyone in Philly was really sad about missing the actual South by Southwest conference in Austin, Texas this year, Barcade’s vintage arcade games — not to mention local techies — were available for consolation.
Technically Philly, Geekadelphia, Indy Hall and Young Involved Philadelphia organized and hosted the Fishtown event, which attracted more than fifty people to chat, have a beer, play arcade games and generally celebrate more on #whyilovephilly and less on #SXSW.
Thanks to the Barcade’s generosity, anyone wearing a #notatsxsw lime green wristlet was privy to the happy hour special — a dollar off drinks — until 9:00pm.
Although the party was for those in the Philadelphia community who passed on the popular SXSW event for one reason or another, plenty of Philadelphians did make the trip to Austin for the week to present and learn from others in the tech community.
Locals who represented Philadelphia there include:
- Voxeo developer Mark Headd spoke about leading two hackathons, one in Philly, another in Baltimore
- Happy Cog led several panels, including one on improving web development RFPs
- DreamIt Ventures hosted a co-founder speed dating
- Our own Sean Blanda spoke about local technology news
- Updated: “Marc Weil from Cloudmine was also on a panel offering advice to startups on picking a co-founder.”
- Digitas Health had a presence.
The newly digitized census count is coming on fast. Here’s what you need to know
14 digital performances you can still catch at 2019’s Fringe Festival
12 Philly resources for technologists and entrepreneurs of color
7 biz resources we learned about at Super Meetup Philly 2019
Philly’s Mini Maker Faire for local inventors and crafters returns this October
You’re invited to celebrate the Philly region’s Inc. 5000 honorees on Sept. 11
NET/WORK is coming back to the Philly ‘burbs on Oct. 10
Paid family leave adds to the perks at Chariot Solutions
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Philadelphia