If anyone in Philly was really sad about missing the actual South by Southwest conference in Austin, Texas this year, Barcade’s vintage arcade games — not to mention local techies — were available for consolation.
Technically Philly, Geekadelphia, Indy Hall and Young Involved Philadelphia organized and hosted the Fishtown event, which attracted more than fifty people to chat, have a beer, play arcade games and generally celebrate more on #whyilovephilly and less on #SXSW.
Thanks to the Barcade’s generosity, anyone wearing a #notatsxsw lime green wristlet was privy to the happy hour special — a dollar off drinks — until 9:00pm.
Although the party was for those in the Philadelphia community who passed on the popular SXSW event for one reason or another, plenty of Philadelphians did make the trip to Austin for the week to present and learn from others in the tech community.
Locals who represented Philadelphia there include:
- Voxeo developer Mark Headd spoke about leading two hackathons, one in Philly, another in Baltimore
- Happy Cog led several panels, including one on improving web development RFPs
- DreamIt Ventures hosted a co-founder speed dating
- Our own Sean Blanda spoke about local technology news
- Updated: “Marc Weil from Cloudmine was also on a panel offering advice to startups on picking a co-founder.”
- Digitas Health had a presence.
Yes, Julia Child can be a role model for women in tech
Why it matters that Philly has a conference for women of color in tech
10 Philly Tech Week community events you won’t want to miss
Engineers have Vistar Media’s Philly office all to themselves
Here’s what to expect at the #PTW19 Dev Conference
Amplify Philly drew 3,500 fans at SXSW. But what exactly does it mean?
These 40 Old City spots are playing at the PTW19 Kickoff Festival scavenger hunt
Join the team behind a reimagined approach to consumer finances
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Philadelphia