- How Philadelphia’s Navy Yard could lead the way in energy efficiency [Smart Planet] — A Q&A with Hank Foley, the Penn State dean who will help lead the $129 project in South Philadelphia.
- Economists reveal Philadelphia’s economic identity as ‘thinking’ region [PhillyInc, Inquirer] — A report puts Philadelphia in the ‘thinking’ category, one of 12, along with cities like New York City, San Diego and Portland, Maine, as opposed to, say, the ‘innovating’ cities of Boston and Raleigh, N.C.
Below, NPR takes on Harrisburg university’s social media experiment, four in region make Forbes’ richest list and more.
MIGHT BE OF INTEREST
- Pa. University Bans Facebook, Twitter For A Week [NPR All Things Considered] — Harrisburg University of Science and Technology school gives it a try.
- Science of NFL Football: #3 Vectors [Science Cheerleader] — The site from a former Sixers cheerleader and Penn alumnae dives into the deep science of football, one subject at a time. Fascinating.
- visitPA and Foursquare In Numbers [Geekadelphia] — We reported on the state tourism agency using the social platform here.
- Philly Organizations in the Running for a Free iPhone Application [Geekadelphia]
- In this digital age, a cycle begins when businesses relocate [PhillyInc, Inquirer] — Columnist Mike Armstrong is skeptical of the announcement of an Illinois company coming to the region with 50 jobs.
GIVE A GLANCE
- Center City is the center of Philadelphia’s work world [PhillyInc, Inquirer] — 216,000 private sector jobs, fewer than the 250,000 sometimes estimated, but, of course, the dominant power of the region.
- Four from Phila. area make Forbes’ richest list [Philadelphia Business Journal] — The founder of Urban Outfitters, Richard Hayne, was the only one of the four who lives in Philadelphia proper.
- Win Passes to an Advance Screening of the Social Network! [Geekadelphia] — See a screening of the Facebook movieThurs., Sept. 30 at the Ritz. Must comment TODAY.
- Chamber Names the Best of the Region’s Small Businesses [Chamber of Commerce blog] — Including Revzilla, whom we have covered.
Every Friday morning, we make sure you didn t miss anything with Friday Tech Links.
SAP, Comcast, Power Home Remodeling made Fortune’s best workplaces list (again)
New app ClipDish saves only the recipe (and nothing else) from cooking sites
Wharton just launched a sports analytics program focusing on data in the industry
These 4 Philly companies were named to Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500 list
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Philadelphia