As any techie knows, the South by Southwest Interactive conference in Austin is like Woodstock for the tech world and getting your own panel at the event is sure sign that you’ve “made it.”
Philly has been well-represented at the trend-setting event as the city even had its own session in 2010, led by the founders of Independents Hall.
However, SXSW panels don’t just happen overnight, they are subject to a six-month long process where the selection committee sifts though thousands of proposed panels to choose the lucky few that get time at the conference. The first part of that panel section process involves a “panel picker” where the community can vote on the panels they’d most like to see, and some local Philadelphians need your help to make it to the big stage next March.
After the jump, see the panels that have been submitted by locals and throw a vote their way to help Philly continue its strong presence in Austin for SXSW 2011. Oh, and you better hurry. Voting closes on the 27th at 1 p.m.
- Can Design Save Philadelphia? Happy Cog vs Cliches – Happy Cog discusses how they rebranded visitphilly.com and avoided cliches like Rocky and Cheesesteaks. Show up and throw snowballs at them.
- Building School 2.0: Creating the Schools We Need – Chris Lehmann, principal of the Science Leadership Academy and the subject of our last Friday Q and A, discusses how we can reboot our school system. If it’s anything like his Ignite Philly talk, this alone is worth the trip to Texas.
- Bridging The Generation Gap: Or Is There One? – Happy Cog strikes back with a look at generation gaps, higher education’s effect on the young workforce and other issues concerning age difference.
- Social Evolution of Branded Media: Paid, Owned, Earned – Gunther Pfau of Stuzo discusses the fragmentation of social media for businesses. Some trivia: Pfau is a Temple grad that once beat out a Technically Philly co-founder in the university’s business plan competition in 2004.
- Cubicle to Crowdsourced, The Evolution of Creative Workspaces – Gloria Bell, founder of Red Stapler Consulting and jack of all trades, chats about the evolution of the workplace.
- Get it Right: Underbanked is Launching Mobile Payments – XIPWIRE, who we have covered extensively, chats about using mobile payment technology to help individuals who do not use banks.
- Innovating & Developing with Libraries, Archives & Museums – The work of Azavea will be featured on this panel, which explores how structured data can be used to change the way the public interacts with large institutions like government and museums.
- Dammit, Why Are You Giving Me Fake Money??? – Superfluid CEO Nathan Soloman talks about the various kinds of currencies – both real and virtual – that we use in everyday life.
So head on over to the panel picker and get your vote on. Though it would be easier to write some sort of voting script to only vote for Philly panels. We’re just saying.
If you have a panel not included here, drop a comment and we’ll amend this post.