If you are passionate about new technologies and enjoy a highly innovate and creative atmosphere including but not limited to adopting a build-measure-learn quick experimentation approach, this position is for you. The role will provide strong technical leadership and coaching to a team that owns and supports internal and external facing applications, and will require full stack development expertise. Your experience and impact will help drive and shape the goals of Crew Experience, one of the six strategic pillars that Vanguard is focused on.
Ideal Technical background:
- Methodologies – TDD, OOP or OOD, Functional Programming, Design Patterns
- Architecture – Rest (Microservices) API Economy
- Cloud – AWS – desired
- Frameworks – Spring, Jersey/REST, Spring Integration
- Testing – JUnit, TDD using Cucumber, Mock Frameworks – Mockito
- Database – SQL Oracle DB2
- Undergraduate degree in a related field or the equivalent combination of training and experience.
- 5 years developer or technical lead experience.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong, demonstrated analysis and problem solving skills.
- Strong planning and organizational skills.
- Advanced knowledge of the following development practices and concepts:
- *Production acceptance, including elevations and change management.
- *Interfaces, feeds, and event schedules.
- *Quality assurance methodology and Inspections.
- *Use case standards.
- *Systems analysis and design techniques.
- *System/subsystem requirements.
- *Libraries, reusable code, and/or object oriented standards.
- *Screen, report, and query design.
- Agile, lean operational at startup speed
- Continues Delivery
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Build highly innovative and responsive User Interface working with UX Designers and business partners
- Translates requirements, technical specifications, and/or logical and physical design into code for new or enhancement projects for internal clients.
- Develops highly scalable applications by developing code and test artifacts that reuse subroutines or objects, is well structured, backed by automated tests, includes sufficient comments and is easy to maintain. Develops programs, appropriate test artifacts, ad hoc queries, and reports.
- Employs contemporary software development techniques to ensure tests are implemented in a way that supports automation.
- Elevates code into the development, test, and Production environments on schedule.
- Thoroughly understands software development methodology. Designs integrated enterprise solutions employing architecture standards. Trains and mentors staff with less experience. Resolves issues elevated from staff with less experience.
- Participates in design, code, and test Inspections throughout life cycle to identify issues. Explains technical considerations at related meetings, including those with internal clients.
- Thoroughly understands client business functions and technology needs. Has a broad understanding of Vanguard’s technologies, tools, and applications, including those that interface with business area and systems.
- Is highly functional on large, matrixed project teams. Interfaces with cross functional team members, including database administrator, IT security, project manager, technical writer, and clients.
- Thoroughly understands and complies with IT policies and procedures, especially those for quality and productivity standards that enable the team to meet established milestones
At harvest time, employees at one of the world’s largest investment firms pick peppers and tomatoes and donate them to nearby food pantries like Philabundance. The community garden at Vanguard isn’t a core competency, so to speak, but it does capture the financial firm’s unique commitment to giving back.
Vanguard is one of the world’s largest investment companies, offering a large selection of low-cost mutual funds, ETFs, advice and related services. “I wanted to work at Vanguard because I liked that there was an emphasis on volunteering and helping people,” said Alexa Cain, an investment systems developer. “I never thought I wanted to end up at a financial company, but the fact that people are such an important part of Vanguard’s mission really made me want to be here and makes me want to stay.”
The Vanguard Gives Back program is a community service initiative where the company’s so-called “crew members” — the logo, after all, is an 18th-century tall ship — rally behind philanthropic causes. Staffers donate their “time, talent and treasure” to various organizations, such as the American Red Cross and local hunger-relief groups.
Beyond those in need, Vanguard also invests in its own people.
In-house specialty programs offer crewmembers the opportunity to gain new skills through hands-on experience. For example, Vanguard’s Technology Leadership Program is a two-year program with three rotations and two capstones, specifically geared towards recent graduates who want to develop their technical expertise within the business world.
The offices at Vanguard also feature an impressive array of perks such as “galleys” (cafeterias), working nooks, walking paths, outdoor patio space and electric-car parking. There’s also an employee gym, called “Ship Shape,” located on campus.