Make investing intuitive through the user experience
Doing the right thing for investors is what we’re all about at Vanguard, and that includes giving them the best possible user experience (UX). In a business like ours, built around technology, the quality of digital interactions is essential. As a Senior UX Designer at Vanguard, we’ll look to you to champion dynamic user experiences and use your expertise to deliver them. You’ll provide input on every aspect of UX, from research and concepting, to design and information architecture. It will require a precise eye for detail, a knack for story-telling, and creativity, compassion, and problem-solving abilities. You’ll need excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to achieve agreement with partners and stakeholders. Your impact will reach far beyond our clients and our business to set new standards for the whole industry. In this role, you will:
- Maps out the screen flow, wireframing concepts, applying the visual design language, prototyping the interactions and partnering with development to hand off the designs.
- Deliver responsive designs for desktop, mobile and tablet.
- Incorporate (as needed) iconography, illustrations, and photography.
- Partner with the content strategist on shaping the design around the content needs.
- Partners with the UX researcher on supporting the user testing of design prototypes.
- Iterate on designs based on feedback from clients.
- Present designs at design critiques and update as needed.
- Collaborate with UX strategist to realize the vision.
- Work with dev team to ensure designs are implemented to spec; QA visual designs.
- Accommodate accessibility needs.
- Conduct competitive and comparative analysis; outside-in thinking
- Leverage the research insights to form a design solution.
- Collaborate with the other designers across labs and families to ensure consistency of design patterns.
- Work with the VET team to bring new pattern designs to the forefront or review and “vet” designs
A design experience that delivers
The Retail Client Experience and Digital strategic priority aims to provide Vanguard clients with a best-in-class experience that reflects intelligent, purposeful design. We take a client-centric approach by orienting around journeys; a client’s end-to-end experience when performing a certain task; while demonstrating human-centered design and rapid experimentation to create digital experiences that exceed expectations. What it takes:
Specializations that’ll make an impact:
- Undergraduate degree (or equivalent training and experience in a creative or technical field)
- At least five years of industry/field-specific experience, including interactive web design
- Advanced knowledge in user-centered design principles, visual design, user behavior and interactions
- Advanced knowledge in all areas of user experience design (information architecture, interaction design, visual design, prototype engineering, content, user experience
- Portfolio or work samples preferred.
- Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position
We are Vanguard. Together, we’re changing the way the world invests. For us, investing doesn’t just end in value. It starts with values. Because when you invest with courage, when you invest with clarity, and when you invest with care, you can get so much more in return. We invest with purpose – and that’s how we’ve become a global market leader. Here, we grow by doing the right thing for the people we serve. And so can you. We want to make success accessible to everyone. This is our opportunity. Let’s make it count. Inclusion Statement
Vanguard’s continued commitment to diversity and inclusion is firmly rooted in our culture. Every decision we make to best serve our clients, crew (internally employees are referred to as crew), and communities is guided by one simple statement: “Do the right thing.” We believe that a critical aspect of doing the right thing requires building diverse, inclusive, and highly effective teams of individuals who are as unique as the clients they serve. We empower our crew to contribute their distinct strengths to achieving Vanguard’s core purpose through our values. When all crew members feel valued and included, our ability to collaborate and innovate is amplified, and we are united in delivering on Vanguard’s core purpose. Our core purpose: To take a stand for all investors, to treat them fairly, and to give them the best chance for investment success.
What kinds of things did Vanguard do for employees to ease the transition to working from home?
At the start of the pandemic, Vanguard made a big push for employees to get comfortable working from home. It sent new desk chairs and office equipment to any employee that needed it, and offered a child relief policy (a 6-8 week plan at 50% salary) and expanded sick leave to help employees adjust to their new work-life balance. Additionally, they paid out performance bonuses two months early this year. When we return to work, or what we call “the next normal,” the plan is to offer employee support in a variety of ways: How to increase your impact, be an inclusive team member, work smarter and optimize your work experience. It will also offer support groups for emotional, physical and financial well-being, in addition to the already existing personal and professional specialty programs
like Vanguard’s Technology Leadership Program geared towards grads who want to develop their technical expertise, and resources for continuing education and reducing student loan debt. How has COVID-19 affected hiring?
The biggest question we get from remote tech candidates is will they have to relocate when everyone eventually returns to the office. Many are hoping to work from where they are forever. Because our tech teams do so much work together in the lab, once we go back, we will need everyone to work from our office in Malvern, PA. In terms of the hiring process, everything has gone virtual, so it’s much faster than our previous process of scheduling and flying people in for interviews. Regardless of how we do it, our goal is always to fill a role within 55 days from start to finish. What qualities do you look for in tech job candidates?
We look for innovative, solution-driven developers who understand the limits of the latest technology and are capable of coming up with ideas and products that haven't been created yet. On the other side of the coin, we want those same people to have good business acumen, project management skills and the ability to build relationships with stakeholders. So it’s a bit of both worlds. You need to be able to write code and then have the soft skills to explain your work to stakeholders with a range of technical understanding. What is the pace like at Vanguard?
The technical team at Vanguard works in an agile work environment, so they work quickly and intelligently. Over the last couple of years, Vanguard has enabled a robust continuous delivery system where folks can get new feature updates into production in less than 15 minutes to begin testing in live product environments, where in years past it would take months to get something into production.