Launching a clothing rental subscription service might seem like a bit of an unusual move for a company known for experiential retail concepts, but it's right in line with our mission since 1970: encouraging customers to express themselves through their wardrobes and the spaces they keep.
Our unlike-anywhere-else curation of hundreds of designers and labels—and not just from our own brands—is designed to give you everything you need to get inspired, get creative and explore all the different aspects of your individual style, we're here so you can get dressed the way you want.
Senior Software Engineer
|Reports to||Engineering Manager|
What is Nuuly:
Nuuly is the newest sibling to Urban Outfitters, Anthropologie, and Free People, and focuses on circular fashion by offering a subscription rental experience for women’s apparel. You'll be part of a close-knit and collaborative environment at Nuuly. We pride ourselves on a relaxed, inclusive, and innovative culture. Our parent company, Urban Outfitters, Inc. (NASDAQ: URBN, www.urbn.com) is a specialty retailer, offering lifestyle merchandise to highly defined customer niches and a Fortune 1000 company with $3.4 Billion in revenue.
What our Team Does:
Nuuly engineering provides services and apps used by our customers, our distribution center, and our analytics, data science, and customer service teams. These services are built on a cutting-edge greenfield tech stack, using Kafka and Kubernetes. Our diverse and welcoming team of engineers collaborates closely with the product team to select, plan, and build features that support Nuuly's customers and rapid growth. Engineers are allowed (and expected) to contribute to the architecture and design of our system.
|Responsibilities||· Implementing and maintaining web user interfaces for Nuuly|
· Taking pride in writing code that is readable, maintainable, well tested, and documented
· Collaborating with Product Designers, Product Managers, and other Software Engineers to deliver compelling user-facing products.
· Performance, scalability, and accessibility are top of mind. Finding ways to weave improvements in these areas into all of our work is a must.
· Staying up to date on the latest coding standards and practices and find ways to apply them to our daily work.
|Qualifications||· Familiarity with version control systems (Github)|
· Experience with state management tools (Vuex/Redux)
· Experience with unit testing frameworks (Jest)
· Experience interacting with RESTful web services and a foundational understanding of the HTTP protocol (status codes, http verbs)
· Able to implement best practices for SEO and Accessibility across many devices
· Comfortable using developer tools for debugging purposes
· Experience writing cross-browser and device compatible code
· Familiarity with responsive web design patterns in semantic HTML/CSS
· Ability to create and maintain a UX design system by utilizing SCSS best practices
· Interested in learning new tools and concepts
· Good understanding of UX principals
· Has experience working with design systems
· Has an understanding of cross browser/platform concerns
· Has a basic understanding of accessibility concerns
· Able to write maintainable, scalable, performant code
· Works well with others, can give/receive thoughtful feedback
|Job Skills||· Experience with Typescript|
· Understanding of BEM naming conventions
· Experience with CSS and JS preprocessing like SCSS/Babel and bundlers such as Webpack
· Experience with writing universal/isomorphic web applications using Node/Express
· Experience with Analytics tools such as Google Analytics and Google Tag Manager
· Practices graceful, thoughtful, and effective peer review
· Open to being mentored and/or mentoring others on the team
· Enjoys pair programming and presenting tech topics to the team
· Active in the open source community
|Education||Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent certification.|
|Travel||Some travel required.|