The University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC) is hiring a Data Analyst and UX Researcher with the creative mindset, collaboration skills, and technical knowledge to support the Office of Institutional Advancement in making data-informed, and tested digital marketing decisions.
This position reports to the associate director of web strategy and user experience in UMBC’s Office of Institutional Advancement (OIA). UMBC and OIA value diverse perspectives and prioritize inclusive excellence as a core principle. We actively welcome candidates of all backgrounds and identities.
About the Selected Candidate
UMBC seeks a strategic analytics professional who will provide valuable feedback to both peers and managers. In this role, you will have active, positive, and engaged working relationships with a broad range of university stakeholders. You will collaborate closely with colleagues in design, development, IT, communications, and marketing. Responsibilities range from discussions about UMBC’s digital communications goals to executing and evaluating specific strategies and projects to improve user experience, ROI, and impact.
What will your day look like?
- Conduct both qualitative and quantitative user research including data analysis, contextual interviews, usability studies, heuristic evaluation, and trend research.
- Proactively identify usability concerns, select the best methodology to clarify the issues, conduct the research, and present actionable recommendations to improve designs.
- Help to drive UMBC’s measurement methodologies forward, ensuring we are continuously improving through the use of metrics.
- Guide metrics reporting and analysis for OIA.
- Collaborate with project stakeholders, digital team, designers, web managers and beyond.
- Identify and facilitate strategic research and new opportunities for delivering actionable user insights
- Own multiple simultaneous projects and move forward with them concurrently, adjusting timelines based on team and stakeholder priorities.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in human-computer interaction, human factors, psychology, communications, digital marketing, information systems, or a related field.
- Strong observational analysis skills are required, coupled with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to present research data simply and clearly is required.
- Expertise in multiple research methods and a mastery of core UX skills are required.
- Applicants must be passionate about how people use technology in the workplace.
- 2+ years of professional experience conducting quantitative and qualitative research is preferred.
What you can expect:
- A fantastic opportunity to make your mark, working directly with staff, faculty, and students to improve UMBC’s digital presence
- An opportunity to practice multiple methods per identified research needs
- To work with a new digital team to achieve success in multiple concurrent projects
- Leadership who will support your career development
- To be an advocate for research findings through written reports and oral presentations
- To dive in and learn our complex array of systems and interfaces
- To play a leadership role in establishing standards for user experience research work at UMBC
This is a full-time, contractual staff position. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience, and includes some benefits.
Please submit a concise cover letter (one page, single-spaced) detailing your interest in the position and a resume detailing your experience and qualifications.
Please also provide answers of up to 150 words each to the following three questions
(upload under Supporting Documents as a single document):
- What is one example of a past project related to this position that you are particularly proud of?
- What is one aspect of user experience work that you think is most important when designing digital solutions?
- What is one example of a way that you have used data to inform or change strategies?
For best consideration submit application materials by August 19, 2019 (applications will be accepted until the position is filled). Apply at:
http://listings.umbc.edu/cw/en-us/job/493000?lApplicationSubSourceID=11373 Apply Now