Our Product Engineering team is committed to delivering great stories and digital user experiences through a robust, flexible and scalable technology stack. Our engineers are working on everything from optimizing payment systems to integrating new social media platforms, and everything in between, all focused on better serving our audiences. We’re looking for a self-starter with a positive attitude, passion for solving difficult problems, and a hunger for knowledge. The ideal candidate is one who can break a problem apart, analyze it from different angles, and put an elegant solution in place.
Join our team in working on projects and problems that include:
- Rebuilding the website to be mobile-first, performant, and able to serve engaging new experiences to users
- Expanding the capabilities of our in-house built mobile apps
- Publishing articles on other platforms like AMP and Facebook Instant Articles
- Personalizing experiences for users including newsletters and article recommendations
- Phasing out legacy systems
- Developing a sophisticated data analytics platform
- Continuous improvement of our digital infrastructure to improve scalability, performance, and resiliency
What You’ll Do
- Lead engineering team to implement UI/UX designs, build out APIs, and develop backend services.
- Works in a cross-functional agile team comprised of Product Managers, UI/UX designers, Engineers (front-end, back-end, full stack, iOS, Android), & QA
- Participates and contributes on all team activities (Sprint Planning, Sprint Execution, Daily Scrum, Sprint Review, Sprint Retrospective)
- Works on Arc CMS enhancing reader experience
- Designs and develops front-end using ReactJS and builds backend applications with REST API services using Python or Node.js
- Integrates our platforms with other products and vendors
- Performs code reviews and ensures code quality
- Designs and implements automated unit and system testing
Who We’re Looking For
- Preferred 3+ years software engineering experience in a collaborative team environment
- A deep understanding of software development lifecycle (SDLC), system design, data structures, and algorithms
- Experience delivering solutions in AWS: CloudFront, S3, Lambda, API Gateway, RDS
- Experience in responsive web design, fluid layouts and positioning, browser behavior and compatibility, cross-browser issues and solutions
- Experience in NodeJS, React and Sass frameworks
- Experience with object-oriented design, server-side scripting, and building backend applications with REST API services using Node.js
- Successful in shipping high-profile user-facing products, working with large code bases, and engineering features for security, scalability, and high availability
- Experience optimizing performance while also using third-party advertising, marketing, and analytics products (Google Ad Manager, BlueConic, Google Analytics, etc) is a plus.
- Ability to work in a highly demanding environment while also remaining flexible; able to change goals as business needs require
- Good communication skills. Ability to explain(verbal and write) complex technical information to non-techies.
- A tireless belief in the value of local journalism and a desire to support The Inquirer’s mission to be the indispensable source of local news and information serving the diverse communities of the Philadelphia region.