The Baltimore City Office of Information and Technology (BCIT) is seeking a Technical Writer. The successful candidate will be responsible for researching and gathering information from documents such as rough drafts and agency manuals and/or by interviewing subject matter experts as needed to complete writing assignments. The individual will also be responsible for working with senior leadership in the development of communications for the agency, using a variety of communication channels.
Summary of Responsibilities:
• Work with Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) in the agency and other city departments to gather information and write documents.
• Writes, rewrites and/or edits technical documents to communicate clearly and effectively technical specifications and instructions to a wide range of audiences.
• Develops, writes, and publishes internal and external publications using various graphic design tools.
• Works independently preparing and maintaining highly complex documentation, procedures and methods.
• Provides expert oversight of technical writing and editing to all phases of technical documentation for a Program, Project, or Contract as required.
• May act as project leader for projects with complex or voluminous documentation and may provide or coordinate special documentation services as required.
• Responsible for preparing reports, responses, and briefings targeted to a wide range of audiences.
• Works with developers to produce quality documentation and training materials.
• Coordinates layout and design of documents. Create documentation methodology and framework.
• Document core product and customer solution-specific information.
• Explain technical ideas in simple language.
• Write technical direction on announcements, outreach material and brochures.
• Meet with customer representatives, vendors, agency heads, or other stakeholders as required to establish technical specifications.
• Create document flow diagrams. Study drawings, specifications, mockups, and product samples. Create user documentation for a variety of material, including how-to guides and instruction manuals.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• 2-5 years of experience as Technical Writer for Government proposals
• Minimum of Bachelor of Science degree in a related field
• Must be proficient in Microsoft Word, Microsoft SharePoint, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Acrobat, Visio, and Autodesk AutoCAD software
• Have direct experience writing technical documents for government or a government contractor
• General knowledge of IT concepts, technologies, and methodologies, such as networks, cyber security, software development, cloud computing, service desk management, ITIL, DevOps, Agile, and SDLC.
• Understands basic concepts, responsible for writing technical copy for various types of documents for a program/project of similar complexity.
• Ability to understand various subject matters including information technology and project management.
• Ability to author documents or rewrite documents/publications
• Strong working knowledge or experience with Excel, PowerPoint, and Visio.
• Experience setting schedules, tracking deliverables and reporting progress.
• Ability to demonstrate technical aptitude and to synthesize technical information
• Demonstrable ability to grasp technical concepts and translate to compelling, understandable documents for both technical and non-technical readers.
• Ability to support and meet dynamic and tight deadlines, including occasional nights and weekends
• Ability to plan and prioritize strategically.
• Very strong interpersonal, communication, collaboration, and leadership skills.
• Ability to effectively interact with a wide range of personnel.
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
• Demonstrated ability to multitask with multiple high-priority demands in an intense, deadline-driven environment.
• Ability to think critically and draw from multiple resources to create unified and persuasive documents.
New jobs. Your inbox. Every week. Get it.