The Baltimore City Office of Information and Technology (BCIT) is seeking a Microsoft Systems Engineer. The successful candidate will provide ongoing maintenance and technical implementations to include Microsoft best practices and licensing protocols. The Engineer will manage Windows-based infrastructure solutions, deployments, and upgrades. Troubleshoot technical issues across multiple data centers. Monitor and maintain Windows server platforms and Active Directory. Build physical and virtual servers and systems according to specifications.
Summary of Responsibilities:
• Collaborate with network staff to ensure smooth and reliable operation of software and systems for fulfilling business objectives and processes
• Work with executive team members, decision makers, and stakeholders to define business requirements and systems goals, and to identity and resolve system issues.
• Design and deploy new applications and enhancements to existing applications, software and operating systems.
• Install, configure, test and maintain operating systems, application software and system management tools
• Manage and document system configurations
• Manage backup processes and environments, application performance tuning, capacity planning, systems monitoring and alerts, and supporting program environments.
• Proactively ensure the highest levels of systems and infrastructure availability
• Monitor and test application performance for potential bottlenecks, identify possible solutions, and work with developers to implement those configurations.
• Maintain security, backup, and redundancy strategies
• Write and maintain custom scripts to automate “routine” processes and tasks to increase system efficiency and reduce manual intervention.
• Participate in the design of information and operational support systems
• Provide 2nd and 3rd level support
• Liaise with vendors and other IT personnel for problem resolution
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Plan and execute long-term strategy around driving customer awareness, engagement, experience and monetization;
• Have experience developing new channels and business models, as well as innovative products and services;
• Knowledge of the relationships with other local governments and other levels of government;
• Knowledge of research methods and techniques utilized to assemble, organize, and present in written or oral form statistical, financial, or factual information derived from a variety of sources;
• Knowledge of the laws, ordinances, and other requirements governing local government;
• Ability to deal with the public, press, other officials, members of other boards and state and federal officers or representatives in a manner that is diplomatic, clear, and knowledgeable;
• Building relationships and using influence: In today’s climate, the culture and practices within a business can change as quickly as those in the external market. Must be able to build relationships across all levels and functions of the organization—from the Board down to the front line—and effectively manage conflict
• Demonstrating cultural sensitivity: This is particularly important, as those skilled in new digital tools may view the world differently from others in more traditional parts of the business.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or other related field and five years of experience or a combination of education and experience.
• MCSE or related certifications preferred, but not required.
• Minimum of three years of experience with SCCM
• Minimum of three years of experience with PowerShell, Python or similar scripting language.
• Strong and demonstrated Windows 10 installation and troubleshooting experience.
• Proficiency using the MS Office 2016 and O365 Suite of applications, e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams, SharePoint, etc.;
• Excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills
• Persuasive, consensus builder.
New jobs. Your inbox. Every week. Get it.