Position Summary: Coordinator of civic tech programs at Paschalville Library in southwest Philadelphia, as well as other neighborhood libraries within the Free Library of Philadelphia system. This is a part-time position that is eligible for full benefits.
The Tech Engagement Coordinator will create, coordinate, manage, and support civic tech programs in the soon-to-be reimagined Free Library of Philadelphia’s Paschalville Library and other select neighborhood libraries. The position will support the efforts of the Division of Cultural and Civic Engagement (DCCE) to reimagine Paschalville Library as a model site of a tech-enabled community hub, as well as efforts that should foster collaboration and use tech as a tool for new programs. By civic tech, we mean everything from platforms that allow residents to map and navigate neighborhood assets to podcasts built around community memory to digital literacy for individuals and tech support for community groups. The Paschalville Library model site will inform a greater effort to help promote new ways of engaging with and supporting the public through technology across a system of neighborhood libraries.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Explore and implement the use of civic technology in Paschalville Library and other select libraries within the Free Library of Philadelphia system.
- Assist the efforts of the DCCE to bring about a community-supported revitalization of the Paschalville Library, one that is equipped with tech-enabled spaces and programs.
- Connect with librarians at Paschalville Library and other neighborhood libraries throughout the Free Library system to understand these libraries’ strengths, needs, constituencies, resources, and other aspects; work with them to create engaging new initiatives that use technology to address common concerns and bring communities together.
- Research civic tech initiatives elsewhere in Philadelphia and other cities, documenting effective, community-centered practices that can be thoughtfully adapted to Southwest Philadelphia and the Free Library
- Coordinate, create, and implement hands-on, interactive programs that consider technology’s impact on communities, particularly under-resourced communities. Look at relevant ways to connect artistic or cultural programs with civic engagement initiatives.
- Work with staff and stakeholders in other Free Library initiatives, collaborating as needed on programs specific to the Southwest Philadelphia area. Represent the DCCE at relevant events in the Southwest and throughout Philadelphia.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Familiarity, experience, and understanding of the ever-changing technology landscape.
- Demonstrated knowledge, aptitude, and proficiency in implementing new forms of technology, and leveraging tech for community engagement.
- Experience in community outreach and/or building relationships with partners and working and/or living in diverse communities.
- Ability to balance multiple projects and demands while ensuring excellence in program design and delivery.
- Collaborative work style and record of bringing disparate partners together for a common venture.
- A deep familiarity with the Southwest Philadelphia neighborhood is a plus.
- Knowledge of standard office software (i.e., Microsoft platforms) and strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Bachelor’s degree or commensurate
This 30 hour/week position has a Full Benefit Package including Health, dental, life, and disability insurances; flex benefits and retirement plan; generous leave time allowance
Please e-mail cover letter and resume with “Tech Engagement” in the subject line to: firstname.lastname@example.org Apply Now