Based in Philadelphia, Pinnacle 21 is a leader in clinical trial data software and services. Our vision is a clean data pipeline that ends in a successful regulatory submission. We’re an established startup that builds software to streamline the drug approval process, bringing life-saving medicines to patients faster. Pinnacle 21 is a certified Great Place to Work, and we’re looking for motivated talent. Come help us revolutionize clinical trials and streamline the drug approval process.
Work that matters | When good drugs get delayed to the market, it’s not just money that’s wasted. Every day we save gives that many more patients longer, healthier lives.
Work autonomously | Enjoy the freedom to develop your talents without being micromanaged. We’ll support you as you add to your skillset and grow to own multiple projects
Global footprint | We serve a diverse community of users from around the world. Our software is the industry standard for preparing clinical trial data for regulatory submission.
What you’ll be doing
As we continue to fill the gaps between engineering and operations, our DevOps Engineers are positioned to work across a wide range of responsibilities spanning infrastructure automation, building deployment pipelines, API development, log analysis, and more. That being the case, we are open to either an experienced linux admin or a more scripting-centric skillset (or a combination of both!) to help lighten the increasing amount of work that comes from being a fast growing software company!
· Develop Chef recipes for managing AWS infrastructure
· Writing Terraform code to build, deploy and manage AWS infrastructure
· Building backend API endpoints for internal applications deployed on AWS lambda
· Planning, building and deploying server monitoring, alarming and dashboards in InfluxDB/Grafana
· Address, investigate and remediate production issues as needed (e.g. when alarms fire)
· Log file analysis, troubleshooting and remediation
· Assisting with database and server migrations
· Assisting Engineering by managing development infrastructure, keeping testing environments up and running smoothly
· Managing and optimizing CI/CD build pipelines
What we’re looking for
· Experienced and comfortable working in a remote position
· Excellent written communication skills
· Stellar troubleshooting skills with the ability to spot issues before they become problems.
· Time and project management skills, with the capability to prioritize and multitask as needed
· Ability to work as a part of a small team
· Able to work autonomously and learn new technologies
· Good judgement and a keen sense of responsibility. Ability to resolve technical ops problems as they arise
…with some combination of
· Experience with project management and workflow tools such as Agile, Jira, Scrum/Kanban, etc
· Strong experience with Linux-based infrastructures, Linux/Unix administration, and Linux Systems Fundamentals.
· Knowledge of HTTP stacks (Apache/nginx/HAproxy, FastCGI, Java web applications)
· Experience with DevOps automation tools (Chef strongly preferred, but experience with Ansible/Puppet would translate)
· Experience with Hashicorp Terraform, a plus
· Experience with Amazon Web services (AWS) a plus (EC2, S3, VPC, ALB, etc)
· Prior experience working with Continuous Delivery/Continuous Integration (CI/CD) tooling (CircleCI specifically is a plus, but any CI/CD experience will translate)
· Experience with databases (PostgreSQL/DynamoDB), a plus
· Knowledge of AWS Serverless applications (AWS Lamda), a plus
· Prior experience with Grafana / InfluxDB, a plus
A bit about us:
As clinical trial data are collected and prepared for submission to a health authority, our platform ensures they comply with data standards and are ready for regulatory review. It’s used by the FDA, Japan’s PMDA, and global biopharmaceutical sponsors and clinical research organizations to validate clinical trial data. We empower the life sciences industry to ensure clinical data quality or “fitness,” enabling fast and smooth marketing approvals. In fact, it’s our platform that drives the FDA’s 21st Century Review Initiative.Apply Now
What are the benefits of working at a small company like Pinnacle 21?
You’ll be close to the founding team and catch our entrepreneurial energy. Joining us right as we hit a growth spurt means you’ll not only “do the work” but also direct and optimize our processes for doing so. (We don’t compromise our values, but our methods are malleable.) We’re a perfect place if you want ownership and are relentlessly resourceful. There’s massive impact still to be made.
What does Pinnacle 21 look for in prospective employees?
Our product roadmap is aggressive, and to accelerate it, we need a wave of talent. Our radar pings for people who bring positive energy with a “Yes, and…” attitude, who work smart and get it done. You’ll need to be autonomous and scrappy, since our full attention is on listening to users and writing good code. Meaning, we have zero interest in micromanaging you. We hire team players who contribute to our culture bottom-up, by giving each other earned praise and healthy critique.
What kind of tech skills do you expect candidates to have?
For Full-Stack Engineers: Java, JS, Play Framework, ReactJS, Redux, Postgres, AWS, and experience in Agile
For Subject Matter Experts: CDISC, SAS, custom data standards/specs, regulatory experience with the FDA/PMDA/NMPA, foreign language ability, and proven skills in consulting and thought leadership
How does Pinnacle 21 invest in employee growth and learning?
Our industry looks to us as a thought leader in clinical data standardization. That expectation hits you too, to be keeping (and setting) the pace for professional development. We support you with training courses, mentorship, and conference attendance. Also, our product roadmap assumes capabilities we haven’t yet mastered, so you’ll have no shortage of challenging projects and infrastructure to deepen your tech stack. As we grow, we’ll spend more time cross-training each other, so expect to teach others as part of your own learning path!
New jobs. Your inbox. Every week. Get it.