This role is responsible for heading a combined DevOps and L2 production support function. Primary responsibilities for this role is to provide direction (both technical and people-focused) for the team responsible for seeding and growing DevOps culture in the organization for the key corporate’s software platforms. One of the key focus areas for the role is to transform development processes for existing applications software development into a Continuous Delivery-driven SDLC, influencing and educating development and QA teams to adjust working practices in alignment with modern day software development and delivery approaches (CI, CD, AWS). L2 production support with 24/7 on-call responsibilities for team members is another key responsibility for the role.
Infrastructure (mainly AWS) and software design, continuous delivery adoption, L2 support for Prod and Non-Prod environments, as well as planning and coaching are key responsibilities of this role. It will require coordinating activities with key stakeholders including development, QA, customer care and L1 teams.
- Owning design, implementation and support of applications’ infrastructure components
- Day-to-day application and SDLC support operations
- Represents the team to internal or external customers
- Ensures that application support and software delivery processes are working efficiently
- Participate in services and software systems design
- Owns relationship with development, QA, product, customer care, CloudOps and L1 teams
- Leads performance management and reporting function, ensuring all staff are fully aware of the required performance targets, together with the related performance achieved
- Manages, coach, mentor and develops and a highly effective and motivated team with clearly defined objectives aligned to the overall department objectives
- Recruitment, and retention of highly skilled staff
- Establishing consistent approaches and working standards
- Software delivery automation (CD, CI)
- Promotion and evangelization of DevOps best practices (CI, CD, automated testing, branching strategy, decoupling, etc…)
- Simplification and improvement of software delivery/release processes
- L2 support for production systems in scope with team’s 24/7 on-call support availability
- Plan, coordinate and implement changes to maintained software configurations and installations
- Interactions with development teams for task scheduling, clarification and implementation
- Editing and maintenance of documentation for software architectures and automation processes
- BSc/MSc degree in the field of computer science is preferred, otherwise equivalent experience is expected
- 5+ years of work experience as a Systems Administrator/DevOps supporting development teams
- 3+ years of direct management experience (including hiring, performance management, leadership)
- Excellent understanding of SDLC, patching, releases and software development at scale
- Good understanding of enterprise standards and enterprise building principles
- In-depth knowledge in Linux OS
- Theoretical and practical skills in Web-environments based on Java technologies, e.g. Tomcat, Jetty, Jboss
- Strong scripting skills in one or any combination of bash, python, perl, ruby
- Good understanding of the mechanisms of Web-environment architectures approaches
- Strong knowledge of cloud providers offering, AWS in particular
- Good knowledge of a configuration management tool like Ansible, Packer.
- Good knowledge of cloud infrastructure orchestration tools like CloudFormation or Terraform.
- Basic knowledge on software delivery orchestration tools like Spinnaker, GoCD, Jenkins Pipelines, Nolio, IBM UberCode.
- Strong practical knowledge of CI Tools, e.g. Jenkins
- Excellent knowledge of Continuous Integration and Delivery approaches
- Good understanding of enterprise search technologies, such as Elastic Search, Lucene, Solr is a plus
- Good written, verbal, interpersonal, presentation and negotiation skills including; change management documentation, ability to communicate among technical and non-technical employees, and process orientation skills
- A customer driven approach and good customer management skills
- Experience of working under pressure
- Effective time management skills; able to set prioritized and be flexible in a changing environment
- Well organized and disciplined with regards policy, procedure and standards
- Ability to report and work accurately and according to agreed timelines
- Ability to identify problems, root causes and apply solutions proactively
- Confident, outgoing personality
- The ideal candidate must be pro-active and self-motivated to achieve operational excellence, and has the aptitude to increase technical breadth
Clarivate employees take pride in providing our customers around the world with information that is timely, accurate, unbiased and trusted. We have a profound respect for the professions and customers we serve and define our success in terms of their success. Our work environment is dynamic, innovative and entrepreneurial. We have a result-oriented culture that demands excellence, agility, and the desire to move quickly and precisely to seize opportunities. Our environment is both challenging and supportive – we give employees the opportunity to develop their skills and do their best work
Clarivate Analytics is in the business of innovation. The global company’s tools leverage its own curated data to serve customers across intellectual property, life sciences and education — among other fields — delivering insights and analytics that help their clients make the best, most-informed decisions they can.
The company’s Philadelphia office, at the corner of 15th and Spring Garden, is in a building that takes up nearly an entire city block. It’s close to restaurants and transit, and the back patio has an epic view of the skyline. Soon, photos taken by employees will adorn the office’s walls, the result of a contest where team members had the opportunity to vote for their peers.
Teams at Clarivate are spread across the globe (a developer in Philly could be working on a team with people in London and Beijing), but even with distributed teams, employees see each other as family. In fact, Clarivate employees support each other’s career growth, resulting in longer-term job stability and overall satisfaction.
While Clarivate is proud to have many industry vets on their team, they’re also always looking to bring newcomers on, as well. They frequently seek Drexel students for co-ops and other stakeholders in Philly’s tech community. The combination of old-school and new-school means they’ve got the best of both worlds on their team, where experience blends with fresh perspectives to create meaningful solutions.