KickUp is looking for a Full Stack Software Engineer to join a team that is reimagining how school districts grow their most valuable asset: their people.
KickUp aims to empower educators by meaningfully engaging them in professional growth. Our platform helps educational leaders capture data about teacher growth and use it to drive better outcomes for students. We’re a small but growing team building a product used by tens of thousands of educators. Joining our team at this early stage means you’ll have a big impact on the foundation of our product.
About the Role:
As a Software Engineer at KickUp, you will build the systems that empower teacher growth through data.
- You will work with a diverse group of engineers, designers, and client success managers.
- You will own feature development through the whole software lifecycle — from spec to development to QA to release.
- You will sharpen your skills as a full-stack developer, getting to work in every part of our stack, from dev-ops through our design system.
- You will work with the rest of the engineering team to evolve our best practices and bring new technologies and knowledge into our stack.
Our platform is built with Django, React, Docker, and Terraform, but we don’t require that you have experience with any of these technologies.
About You: Skills & Experience
We recognize that underrepresented groups such as women and BIPOC may be less likely to apply to a role if they don’t meet 100% of the listed qualifications. We are committed to growth and we encourage you to apply if you meet a majority of the qualifications and this role is aligned with your career trajectory and interests.
You might be a fit if you:
- Enjoy taking ownership over the outcomes of your work, going the extra mile to create something useful and delightful
- Crave collaboration, not just with other engineers, but also with designers, client success managers, and account managers, too.
- Are a product-minded engineer who is truly curious about users’ experiences with the product
- Have a knack for finding those “80/20” solutions that balance shipping quickly with long-term maintainability
- Have 4-7 years of professional experience building web apps and supporting them in production
- Bonus: expertise in Django, React or Docker (those are the tools we use)
Our team is remote-first, and this position can be done from anywhere, as long you are willing to work our core business hours of 9am-5pm Eastern. We have an office located in Philadelphia and several members of our team live in the Philadelphia area.
Bring Your Whole Self:
We believe diversity breeds innovation. We’re building a product that improves the way all teachers and all students are supported, and to do that well, we need a workforce that’s representative of the users we serve. We are actively looking to add members to our team who will bring diverse backgrounds, new perspectives, and a willingness to challenge us to improve the work we do every day.
Why you should join KickUp:
is to meaningfully engage educators in professional growth. Education is in our team’s DNA, and study after study
demonstrates that educators have the single greatest impact on student learning. KickUp exists to help districts grow their teachers through high-quality professional learning and well-coordinated improvement efforts, and your work at KickUp will lead to system-level change in education.
Our team is humble and sharp, with a unique blend of both mission driven and business smart qualities. Because we offer our clients both software and services, we’re able to build deep relationships and garner deep insight into the needs of our users in order to be a highly user-focused team. We work closely together to share learnings, solve cross-team problems, and maintain a cohesive, small-team feel and community spirit as we grow our organization.
- We offer competitive salaries, stock options in our growing company, and a variety of medical, dental and vision insurance options.
- We offer high levels of flexibility and operate as a remote-first team, and additionally have an office located in Philadelphia.
- We enjoy Focus Fridays — a lighter workday without meetings or Slack — to ensure our team has adequate flexibility and focus time.
- We believe in the importance of recharging—and as a result, offer a flexible PTO policy. Most of our employees average between 15-18 PTO days per year in addition to 11+ paid company holidays.
- We provide opportunities for professional growth and offer individual stipends for professional learning opportunities.