At PNC, our people are our greatest differentiator and competitive advantage in the markets we serve. We are all united in delivering the best experience for our customers. We work together each day to foster an inclusive workplace culture where all of our employees feel respected, valued and have an opportunity to contribute to the company’s success. This is a hybrid position which provides flexibility to work both in the office and remotely and is based in Pittsburgh, PA and Cleveland, OH.
As a Software Developer Lead within PNC's Retail Technology organization, you will combine your software and systems expertise to manage applications and to create innovative and automated solutions to simplify operations, eliminate toil, and increase the reliability and availability of our critical applications and business services.
This position will focus on the support of legacy systems through retirement and function as a Retail Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) helping to transform the way that Retail Run the Bank operates.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications
• Experienced operating in a 24x7 environment
• Experience in Site Reliability Engineering (Preferred) or DevOps engineering
• Expertise in one or more programming languages such as Java, Python, or Go
• Strong working knowledge of RHEL 7 and higher to include bash shell scripting
• Able and eager to develop technical skills and employ a continuous improvement mindset
• Strong working knowledge of modern development technologies and tools such as Agile, CI/CD, Git and Jenkins
• Strong working knowledge of Internet protocols such as HTTP, TCP/UDP
• Deep understanding of performance measurement (MTTD, MTTR, MTRS)
Candidates should possess experience and detailed knowledge in the following
• Engineering and support of micro app/service architectures
• Working knowledge of web services technologies such as SOAP, JSON and REST
• Application Platforms such as OpenShift, Docker and Kubernetes
• Development Frameworks such as React, Node.js and Spring Boot
• Expertise in database technologies including SQL Server, MySQL, Oracle and Mongo
• Understanding of distributed tracing and monitoring tools such as Dynatrace, Jaeger and Humio
• Experience with Kafka event streaming
Responsibilities of this position
• Partner with other retail technology teams to establish SRE best practices and automated solutions with a focus on operational excellence
• Work with development teams throughout the software life cycle ensuring sustainable software releases and full stack observability
• Identify opportunities to evangelize adoption for greater self-healing and resiliency patterns
• Troubleshoot priority incidents and participate in blameless post-mortems
• Perform analytics on previous incidents and usage patterns to better predict issues and take proactive actions.
• Participate in 24x7 on-call rotations and escalation workflows
PNC Employees take pride in our reputation and to continue building upon that we expect our employees to be:
Application Delivery Process – Knowledge of major tasks, deliverables, and formal application delivery methodologies; ability to utilize these in order to deliver new or enhanced applications.
Application Design, Architecture – Knowledge of application design activities, tools and techniques; ability to utilize these to convert business requirements and logical models into a technical application design.
Application Development Tools – Knowledge of and ability to utilize a variety of specific tools and toolkits for the development and support of applications.
Application Testing – Knowledge of application testing and ability to design, plan and execute application testing strategies and tactics to ensure software quality throughout all stages of application development.
Packaged Application Integration – Knowledge of and the ability to implement packaged application software and integrate it with company applications, databases and technology platforms.
System Development Life Cycle – Knowledge of project management techniques and the ability to plan, design, develop, test, implement and maintain system development life cycle segments and phases.
Technical Troubleshooting – Knowledge of technical troubleshooting approaches, tools and techniques, and the ability to anticipate, recognize, and resolve technical (hardware, software, application or operational) problems.
Roles at this level typically require a university / college degree, with 3+ years of relevant / direct industry experience. Certifications are often desired. In lieu of a degree, a comparable combination of education and experience (including military service) may be considered.
Additional Job Description
PNC offers employees a comprehensive range of benefits to help meet your needs now and in the future. Depending on your eligibility, options for full-time employees include medical/prescription drug coverage (with a Health Savings Account feature); dental and vision options; employee and spouse/child life insurance; short- and long-term disability protection; maternity and parental leave; paid holidays, vacation days and occasional absence time; 401(k), pension and stock purchase plans; dependent care reimbursement account; back-up child/elder care; adoption assistance; educational assistance and a robust wellness program with financial incentives. To learn more about these and other programs, including benefits for part-time employees, visit pncbenefits.com > New to PNC.
Disability Accommodations Statement:
The PNC workplace is inclusive and supportive of individual needs. If you have a physical or other impairment that might require an accommodation, including technical assistance with the PNC Careers website or submission process, please call 877-968-7762 and select Option 4: Recruiting or contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Human Resources Service Center hours of operation are Monday - Friday 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM ET.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
PNC provides equal employment opportunity to qualified persons regardless of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, or other categories protected by law.
Refer to the California Consumer Privacy Act Privacy Notice to gain understanding of how PNC may use or disclose your personal information in our hiring practices.