Posted on January 3, 2018
Baltimore, Brooklyn, D.C., Delaware, Network, Philadelphia
University City District prides itself on being a strongly data-driven organization. The Data Scientist position is an exciting opportunity to help understand the many dimensions of the neighborhood that UCD serves, guide the efforts of the organization, and inform its communications. The position will report to the Vice President of Planning & Economic Development and work closely with the President, VP of Workforce Innovation, Director of Communications, and Director of Public Safety to support data needs across the organization. Data initiatives span areas from public safety to real estate to transportation to market research to institutional procurement to workforce development.
The Data Scientist is responsible for research and analysis across a wide range of areas impacting everyone who lives, works, or spends time in University City. As a growing organization with evolving and expanding needs, the position is a good fit for someone with a wide range of interests who enjoys and responds well to new research and analysis challenges.
The Data Scientist will:
- Work with staff in the Department of Planning and Economic Development to identify, measure, and track key metrics guiding departmental efforts
- Conduct research, analysis, and data visualization for UCD’s annual State of University City report, focused on demographics, real estate, employment, and other public and proprietary data sources
- Design and implement new research programs, potentially including a field research component
- Identify novel data sources that bear on key aspects of UCD’s work
- Present research and analysis in written reports, internal and external presentations
- Facilitate the communication of data and analysis across UCD for a range of purposes including grant applications, improving public space maintenance, and public safety
- Provide data and analysis on University City and UCD to external groups including businesses, realtors, and community groups
- Develop relationships and partner with UCD stakeholders including area institutions and businesses in order to conduct research, surveys and special projects
Top candidates will have:
- Experience with:
- Collecting, querying, and consuming large data sets; using web API’s a plus
- Demographic, economic, and real estate data
- Esri GIS products
- Using mathematical models to generate approximations and make future predictions
- Python, R or other programming languages for data manipulation, analysis and visualizations
- Philadelphia specific datasets preferred
- Working knowledge of relational databases and SQL; MS Access and File Maker a plus
- Strong data analysis skills
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Strong independent problem solving skills
- A willingness to work independently, closely as part of small team, and also across multiple departments
- Flexibility and adaptability to take on new tasks with short turnaround times
- Knowledge of graphics and publishing software, including Adobe products
- Bachelor, Master, Doctoral level degree
University City District (UCD) is a non-profit, special services district that leverages a unique partnership of universities, health systems, large and small businesses and community groups to invest in public spaces, address public maintenance and public safety issues, bring life to commercial corridors, promote job growth and innovation, and connect low income residents to career opportunities.
Apply for this job
Priority will be given to applicants who submit a resume and cover letter by 5 pm on January 17th. Mention you found this work on Technical.ly!