Why join Vanguard’s Data Science Advanced Development Program (ADP)? This program (a part of the broader Data & Analytics Advanced Development Programs) will provide an opportunity to collaborate alongside a team of best-in-class data scientists and leaders and influence the outcomes of over thirty million clients. Through hands-on involvement with critical work happening across Vanguard, equipped with the tools and resources to succeed, you will be positioned to grow as experts in data science. Make it count!
In this rotational program, you will
- Experience a comprehensive approach to data science with rotations during which you will leverage deep dive diagnostics, predictive, and prescriptive analytics throughout three 6-month assignments. These rotations in various business areas will draw upon your experiences and interests as well as meet strategic business needs by working on high-impact assignments.
- Participate in critical, relevant projects to uncover insights that will be presented to key leadership – influencing strategic decisions that directly affect organizations across Vanguard
- Receive meticulous coaching and mentorship from Vanguard’s senior management to prepare you for a career within Data Science.
- Focus on learning, individualized feedback, and close community connections in small cadres to improve your experience. These opportunities include meeting regularly with your program manager, department manager, mentor, peers and coaches. Nurture new relationships in a growing network of data scientists.
Own the future of analytics
At Vanguard, we value community, comradery, and leaders who are adaptable and independent-minded. Your proven leadership and passion for learning will be invaluable as we advance our mission to make investment success accessible to everyone! Here, strong analytical skills, effective relationship management, problem-solving and technical abilities will help you navigate the rigors of this demanding program preparing for a career in data science.
What it takes
- An undergraduate degree and graduate studies aligned to Analytics, Applied Mathematics, Economics, Statistics or related analytical field of study or equivalent combination of training and experience
- 2+ years of relevant internship or work experience required.
- Demonstrated experience in data and analytics, computer science, statistical analysis, machine learning, hypothesis testing and data visualization. You have experience utilizing statistical and machine learning methods.
- Comfort with ambiguity and a willingness to explore a variety of challenges and pivot as needed.
- Proven agility in learning and excellent relationship management skills
- Clear and effective communication skills
- Ability to take initiative, collaborate, and work independently
- Comfort working with multiple tasks and/or projects concurrently
- Demonstrated leadership abilities and a passion for data and analytics
- Strong technical competence, including data analytical, statistical, storytelling, and coding skills
- Employment is contingent on a successful background check and drug-screening result
- Please note that the start will be in August 2023
At Vanguard, we believe in supporting our “crew” personally through all life stages. Our industry-leading benefits are crafted with you in mind. Some of our benefits include:
- 23 PTO days and 9 federal holidays, with the unique ability to purchase an additional week of PTO
- Industry-leading retirement savings – up to 4% matched contributions, and 10% employer contribution without condition
- Best-in-class medical, dental, and vision coverage with on-site health perks:
- CrewCare: our own onsite health-clinic for you and your loved ones
- ShipShape: onsite fitness centers
- Health Smart rewards: a program that rewards you for making healthy choices
- LYRA: a program to provide care for your emotional and mental health – how, when, and where you need it, at no cost to you.
- FlexFund: our wellness stipend that gives you the autonomy to define, and invest in, what wellness means to you.
- Education benefits including tuition reimbursement designed to support you in furthering your education
- Strong parental leave, including adoption and surrogacy, benefits – because we know every family looks different!
For a deeper look into our benefits, please visit our Why Vanguard page
We are Vanguard. Together, we’re changing the way the world invests.
For us, investing doesn’t just end in value. It starts with values. Because when you invest with courage, when you invest with clarity, and when you invest with care, you can get so much more in return. We invest with purpose – and that’s how we’ve become a global market leader. Here, we grow by doing the right thing for the people we serve. And so can you.
We want to make success accessible to everyone. This is our opportunity. Let’s make it count.
Vanguard’s continued commitment to diversity and inclusion is firmly rooted in our culture. Every decision we make to best serve our clients, crew (internally employees are referred to as crew), and communities is guided by one simple statement: “Do the right thing.”
We believe that a critical aspect of doing the right thing requires building diverse, inclusive, and highly effective teams of individuals who are as unique as the clients they serve. We empower our crew to contribute their distinct strengths to achieving Vanguard’s core purpose through our values.
When all crew members feel valued and included, our ability to collaborate and innovate is amplified, and we are united in delivering on Vanguard's core purpose.
Our core purpose: To take a stand for all investors, to treat them fairly, and to give them the best chance for investment success.
Future of Work
During the pandemic, we transitioned to a work from home model for the majority of our crew and we continue to interview, hire, and on-board future crew remotely.
As we have developed the path forward, we have taken a thoughtful approach that both maximizes the advantages of working remotely and the many benefits of coming together and collaborating in a shared workspace. We believe that in-person interactions among our crew are important for preserving our unique culture and advantageous for the personal development of our crew.
When our Crew return to the office, many will work in our hybrid model. A smaller proportion of our crew will operate in the Work from Home work model (for example, field sales crew); or in the Work from Office model (for example, portfolio managers).
The working model that your role falls into will be communicated to you in the interview process – please do ask if you are unsure. We encourage you to make the decision regarding your job interview and offer knowing which model your role will fall into. We will test and learn as our ways of working evolve and will continue to evaluate working models along the way.
What kinds of things did Vanguard do for employees to ease the transition to working from home?
At the start of the pandemic, Vanguard made a big push for employees to get comfortable working from home. It sent new desk chairs and office equipment to any employee that needed it, and offered a child relief policy (a 6-8 week plan at 50% salary) and expanded sick leave to help employees adjust to their new work-life balance. Additionally, they paid out performance bonuses two months early this year.
When we return to work, or what we call “the next normal,” the plan is to offer employee support in a variety of ways: How to increase your impact, be an inclusive team member, work smarter and optimize your work experience. It will also offer support groups for emotional, physical and financial well-being, in addition to the already existing personal and professional specialty programs
like Vanguard’s Technology Leadership Program geared towards grads who want to develop their technical expertise, and resources for continuing education and reducing student loan debt.
How has COVID-19 affected hiring?
The biggest question we get from remote tech candidates is will they have to relocate when everyone eventually returns to the office. Many are hoping to work from where they are forever. Because our tech teams do so much work together in the lab, once we go back, we will need everyone to work from our office in Malvern, PA.
In terms of the hiring process, everything has gone virtual, so it’s much faster than our previous process of scheduling and flying people in for interviews. Regardless of how we do it, our goal is always to fill a role within 55 days from start to finish.
What qualities do you look for in tech job candidates?
We look for innovative, solution-driven developers who understand the limits of the latest technology and are capable of coming up with ideas and products that haven't been created yet. On the other side of the coin, we want those same people to have good business acumen, project management skills and the ability to build relationships with stakeholders.
So it’s a bit of both worlds. You need to be able to write code and then have the soft skills to explain your work to stakeholders with a range of technical understanding.
What is the pace like at Vanguard?
The technical team at Vanguard works in an agile work environment, so they work quickly and intelligently. Over the last couple of years, Vanguard has enabled a robust continuous delivery system where folks can get new feature updates into production in less than 15 minutes to begin testing in live product environments, where in years past it would take months to get something into production.