Posted on February 11, 2018
Message Agency is seeking a content strategist to serve our nonprofit, university, and foundation clients. At Message Agency, content strategists work as part of our design team and collaborate closely with developers, visual designers, and the client to create a structured, intuitive experience for website visitors. Content strategists also support our marketing efforts by developing original content and collateral.
We are looking for a sharp, creative professional who understands how to exceed expectations to join our team full-time. We need a strong communicator, thinker, and writer—someone whose attention to detail is impeccable but who also can listen to peers and clients and who understands the importance of building meaningful relationships.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate in planning and conducting discovery sessions with clients and derive insights from discovery activity to help formulate project approach and concepts.
- Analyze and synthesize findings from discovery and present to clients.
- Conduct research on user behavior patterns using focus groups, Google Analytics, and other user research tools.
- Create rich user personas and other deliverables from discovery.
- Develop strategic and maintainable content systems for nonprofit clients.
- Define sitemaps, content types, and taxonomies.
- Assist clients with content migration planning and development of content governance / editorial workflows.
- Write original content for client branding deliverables, websites, and publications.
- Implement best practices for SEO and Accessibility standards when writing copy.
- Collaborate with an interdisciplinary team of designers, information architects, project managers, and developers to deliver content and design approaches that meet client business goals.
- Participate in the development of information architecture and content models for site design.
- Ensure client success by providing training on content writing for the web, training administrators on content posting, and writing end-user guides and documentation.
- Assist with agency marketing efforts by producing original content for web and print collateral and helping to represent agency at conferences and events.
Required Skills and Experience
A candidate should have:
- A bachelor’s degree, preferably in English, Communications, Journalism, or related field
- At least three years of experience as a content strategist, as a web writer/editor, or in a digital communications role
- Served in a client facing role in a digital or creative agency, or as a freelancer
- Experience conducting content audits for websites
- Strong writing, analytical, and organizational skills
- Experience developing and implementing content strategies for content management systems
- Experience managing content in Drupal, WordPress, or other content management systems
- Demonstrated examples of original web content
Ideal Skills and Experience
An ideal candidate would have:
- Knowledge of Google Analytics and/or SEO
- Awareness of user research and/or market segmentation
- Understanding of web accessibility
- Experience working in an agile team environment
- Experience working with nonprofit organizations, universities, or foundations
- Experience with user experience (UX) design and human-centered design
About Message Agency
Message Agency builds better websites for the greater good. We are an established and growing web development company with a social mission. We build sites in Drupal—an open source content management system (CMS)—and work primarily with both regional and national nonprofits, universities, foundations, and government agencies. A certified B Corporation, we have been awarded “Best for the World” status three times in recent years.
Compensation and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary, profit sharing, 100% paid health/dental/vision, 401(k) with employer contribution, generous paid vacation/holidays, professional development budget, commuter benefits, FSA plan, life insurance, short-term disability insurance, and a great working environment. We are located in Philadelphia, PA, and would prefer to hire talent from our region.
Apply for this job
Please submit an application at the provided URL. Please be prepared to provide a resume, links to portfolio or writing samples, your salary requirement, and references. Mention you found this work on Technical.ly!