Posted on January 11, 2019
Future head of Engineering
About the Role
We are currently looking for a Head of Engineering to join our team of 5 full-stack engineers. This role will be critical in our development as we scale. You will have a great deal of autonomy and accountability in setting and adhering to best practices for the team.
In this role, you will manage people and technology, deliver completed projects and establish yourself as a strong technical leader. You will serve as a key member of our executive team, reporting directly to the CEO.
You’re a fit if you:
- Feel deeply passionate about building successful and enriching products
- Aren’t above getting your hands dirty. You’ll contribute to the development of new features and product optimizations as a hands-on coder as necessary.
- Can be a creative and intuitive innovator. We want you to enjoys mentoring junior team members and sharing your expertise while being extremely thoughtful about culture and leadership
- Value diversity of thought and experiences
- Have an opinion on tools, techniques and what makes great code
- Take pride in your excellent leadership and project management skills
- Communicate brilliantly, telling compelling stories whether while speaking or in writing
- Know your weaknesses or see your own mistakes and can express them
- Are willing to sit on the floor and focus on solving problems that matter
About the Responsibilities
- Establish code standards and best practices to ensure high-quality, scalable, reusable and extensible implementation.
- Establish design and architectural best practices that will guide the implementation, and create processes to ensure these best practices are followed.
- Research new technologies and tools to keep the productivity of the Engineering team at its best.
- Define and communicate the goals and objectives of the Engineering team to the Leadership team, ensuring alignment across the organization.
- Participate in Product roadmap sessions with key stakeholders, balancing and advocating for steady progress on the product, its infrastructure and the health of the total system.
- Define the vision and strategy for our product’s technology, and create an operational roadmap for the Engineering team.
- Triage technical tasks ensuring system performance, reliability, stability and scalability.
- Establish processes, best practices and tools to strategically ensure continuous, agile releases.
- Establish processes, best practices and tools supporting the testing strategy (automated testing, exploratory testing, regression testing, etc.) to ensure high-quality delivery of updates and features as well as a low rejection rate.
- Implement tools to monitor team productivity and system performance.
- Assist Product Managers in the elaboration of product requirements to ensure technical feasibility and uncover potential risks.
- Review product specifications and designs with the Engineering team before implementation to ensure all use cases have been thought through.
- Conduct architectural planning meetings with the Engineering team to ensure optimal and scalable implementation.
- Work with Product Managers to convert product specifications into user stories and estimate development time.
- Manage the development lifecycle, from implementation to release to production, including QA.
- Communicate on timelines for delivering new features and product optimizations to cross-functional teams (Growth, Marketing, Customer Success, Product and Operations).
- Mentor and empower engineers through regular check-ins and one-on-one meetings. See to it that all team members have opportunities for growth and development as well as a clear vision of their long-term career path within the organization.
- Set goals and objectives for the Engineering team on a regular basis.
- Support engineering recruiting efforts by writing job descriptions, conducting interviews with candidates and providing input during the final decision-making process.
- Back-end: Node.js
- Front-end: React
- Database: Postgres
- Google Cloud Platform
Butterfly is an employee engagement and leadership e-coaching suite. We create tools that harness employee feedback to create a customized learning experience for managers. Our technology is used by some of the world’s largest enterprises and is helping to build better workplaces.
We are working to solve a main problem: helping managers grow into leaders. Our international team is based mainly in Brooklyn and is filled with entrepreneurs, creatives and intelligent “doers” who genuinely want to create better work environments for people across the world.
Apply for this job
For questions or to apply reach out to Simon@butterfly.ai Mention you found this work on Technical.ly!