Capital One and Community Preservation and Development Corporation teamed up to bring innovative art and technology to affordable housing units in D.C.’s Ward 8. The new Makerspace inside The Overlook at Oxon Run opened to the public on June 28. The space focuses on serving budding community artists and technologists alike by bringing them together to share ideas, equipment and knowledge.
— Jessica (@EcoLivin) June 28, 2017
The CPDC/Capitol One Makerspace includes:
- A Fabric Arts Room with tools to make clothing, costumes and masks.
- The Oxon Run Funk Lab, featuring Windows Studio Pro desktops and laptops, 3D printers and a Smart Board.
- A woodshop stocked with tools, laser engravers, 3D carvers, vinyl cutter and press.
Additionally, this makerspace will be home to five artists-in-residence from the D.C. area with various backgrounds in audio/visual art and education:
- Nehemiah Dixon III, CEO of Nonstop Art, LLC and a Red Dirt Studio Artist.
- Thomas Stanley, an artist with a focus in audio culture and author.
- Amy Hughes Braden, painter.
- David Ibata, painter.
- Bob, an artist with a background in construction, art conservation, and arts facilitation.
- Charlene Gaddy Wallace, a student advocate with a background in vocational and entrepreneurial training for sustainable income.
— Enterprise Community Development Volunteering (@ECDVolunteers) June 28, 2017
In adding this creative space to the recently renovated, 316-unit building, CPDC aims to increase community access to and education regarding new technologies.
“Our partners at Capital One and all of our staff are committed to creating high-quality affordable communities for our residents and providing programs, services and spaces that spur an interest in art, science, technology and other skills that will ultimately help them grow and thrive,” J. Michael Pitchford, President and CEO of CPDC, said in a statement.
Knowledge is power!
Subscribe for free today and stay up to date with news and tips you need to grow your career and connect with our vibrant tech community.