Great Dames, the local woman-empowering organization that successfully moved its “Powerful Conversations” series online in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, will be holding its first international, virtual conference, “Reimagine Your Remarkable Life,” which will be livestreamed from Monday, Sept. 21, to Friday, Sept. 25, from 12 noon to 1 p.m. EST.
“We’ve heard loud and clear from the women in the Great Dames community that they are reimagining their lives during these exceptional times.” said President Sharon Kelly Hake. “Our speakers and fellow Dames will spark our imagination, ignite our ideas, and inspire us to elevate our power.”
Topics for the hour-long sessions will include overcoming obstacles and taking risks, achieving gender equity, the power of ideas, and engaging and mobilizing others.
Speakers will include:
- U.S. Congresswoman Lisa Blunt Rochester, Delaware’s first Black woman congresswoman
- Joan Pendergrass, author, speaker and wife of the late musician Teddy Pendergrass
- Dr. Wendy Smith, a University of Delaware professor and founder of the Women’s Leadership Forum
- Leticia Gomez, pioneering Latinx literary, film and television agent
- Kay White, best-selling British author and career mentor
- Miracle Olatunji, a Gen Z phenom and founder of OpportuniMe
- DeLores Pressley, an international speaker, author and former guest of “The Oprah Winfrey Show“
On Thursday, Sept. 24, the conference will host the Remarkable Ideas Pitch competition, when 10 women will present their business ideas for reimagining their community, competing for a $1,000 cash prize. The winner will be announced that Friday.
Tickets are $75 for non-members of the Great Dames Circle. Sponsorship tickets for young women are available and can be purchased as part of the VIP ticket.
Proceeds from this event support the Great Dames Action Fund to support women and girls with scholarships, programs and seed grants.