(Photo courtesy of City of Wilmington)
Delaware’s Super Bowl champion, Philadelphia Eagles running back Wendell Smallwood of Wilmington, will have a whole weekend named after him this month.
The inaugural Wendell Smallwood Weekend (#WeetWeekend), will take place at different spots in the city the weekend of May 17 to 19, including two of the Wilmington’s newest projects, DE.CO and the 76ers Field House. All events will benefit Wilmington youth organizations.
Smallwood, who was drafted by the Eagles in 2016, regularly gives back to his hometown, from supporting a Coded by Kids program at Kingswood Community Center to offering a free football camp in partnership with (former New York Giant) Mayor Mike Purzycki.
Here’s the schedule of events:
- Happy Hour Kickoff Event with DJ Blaire at DE.CO — Friday, May 17, 5 to 7:30 p.m.
Entry is free. With a $30 VIP ticket, you get two drinks, food and access to NFL players.
- HaHa Davis and Kleon Da Comedian at Theatre N — Friday, May 17, 8 p.m.
Live comedy show. Tickets start at $60.
- The Wendell Smallwood and Mayor Mike Purzycki Pro Football Camp and Player Autograph Signing at the 76ers Field House — Saturday, May 18, noon to 4:30 p.m.
Free for youth ages 8 to 19. Includes lunch and a t-shirt; advanced registration recommended.
- Party with a Purpose at Docklands Riverfront — Saturday, May 18, 9:30 p.m.
Party with Wendell and friends. Tickets start at $40.
- The Brunch Experience at The Queen — Sunday, May 19, noon to 4 p.m.
Brunch, music and a celebration of Smallwood’s accomplishments, plus a check presentation to a Wilmington nonprofit that provides programming for young people. Event is 21+ and tickets start at $60.
A new DECO deli is set to open on Jan. 22
Now you can watch Blue Coats basketball on DETV
Blue Coats head coach featured on Blue Route podcast
Ladybug partners with local brewers to create a festival-branded beer
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Delaware