(Photo courtesy of NextFab)
We need more young people pursuing careers in STEM.
It’s been a common message among many founders, professionals and political candidates in recent years. But how do we actually encourage this from the ground up?
That is what Zip Code Wilmington’s youth coding movement, Innovation / Outreach, is hoping to address in its new mission statement: to empower future technologists in Delaware through engaging curriculum, supports for schools and educators, and growing work-based learning opportunities that can lead to internships and career opportunities for Delaware youth.
Its first event, in partnership with Technical.ly, aims to bring out students and educators for a fun-filled Saturday tech showcase with I/O Tech Fest in New Castle.
Check out what the event has in store with these demos:
- Learn Amazon Alexa Programming with I/O powered by Zip Code
- Learn how to program robots with Code Differently
- STEM powered education with Microsoft
- Drive and race robots with Razor Steel Robotics team
- Explore Algebra by Hand! — an app providing students “advanced procedural fluency” with simplifying expressions, expanding expressions, solving linear equations and more
- Test your dexterity by playing a few rounds of Shapes the Game
- Experience a 360-degree VR experience created by Drexel ACE Lab
- Play games “inspired by the beautiful and the challenging” crafted by Quadratron Games
- Learn how to build a game that stimulates startup life with OpenForge
- Uncover the secrets of a world lost in shadow by playing Sole built by Gossamer Games
Lunch will be provided. Plus, bring your own laptop if you wish to partake in coding activities during the event!
Work in comms? Here’s an unconventional networking opportunity
No coding class at your kid’s middle school? This dad-run org wants to help
The Millennial Summit expands with Entrepreneurship Day
Hear from the privacy pros at Security by the Schuylkill
Firefly is selling a break from reality
From insecurity to insight at this entrepreneur’s first tech showcase
Super Meetup is coming back to Wilmington on August 1
Learn to lead digital transformation at Phorum 2019
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Delaware