(Photo via Wikimedia Commons)
Governor John Carney announced the advisory group for his executive order that should have an impact on the startup community here in Delaware. Executive Order Number One, as it’s called, was established on his first day in office.
Tech community booster Mona Parikh is part of the group, as is Delaware Tech’s president Mark Brainard.
The Governor’s office has assembled 15 members to an Economic Development Working Group. The group will “explore how state government can work with the private sector to improve economic development efforts in Delaware,” according to the release. They’ll also look into new ways to attract new companies, support innovation and “build a stronger entrepreneurial community.”
It sounds like the Governor’s office has identified the potential for startup and entrepreneurial growth in the state.
Carney offered this in a statement:
“Over the next several weeks, the working group will explore how we can best position Delaware to be at the top of the list for businesses looking to start-up, grow or relocate. … We will work with private industry to help grow our economy so that Delaware can compete for good-paying jobs.”
The working group will start in February, and they are due to report back to Carney by April 7.
The release also included the full list of the Economic Development Working Group members, and
- Mark Brainard – President, Delaware Technical Community College (Co-Chair)
- Doneene Damon – Executive Vice President, Richards, Layton & Finger, P.A.
- Mark Kleinschmidt – President, New Castle County Chamber of Commerce
- Nick Lambrow – President, M&T Bank, Delaware Region
- Jim Maravelias – President, Delaware AFL-CIO
- Terry Murphy – President, Bayhealth Medical Center & Chairman of the Delaware Business Roundtable
- Mona Parikh – Community Engagement Liaison, UD Horn Program in Entrepreneurship
- Sen. Brian Pettyjohn – Senate Republican Caucus
- Albert Shields – Policy Director, Office of Governor Carney
- Rep. Bryon Short – House Democratic Caucus
- Richelle Vible – Executive Director, Catholic Charities
- Sen. Jack Walsh – Senate Democratic Caucus
- Rod Ward – President, Corporation Service Company (Co-Chair)
- Bernice Whaley – Director, Delaware Economic Development Office
- Rep. Lyndon Yearick – House Republican Caucus
New license? Share the news from the DMV’s new ‘Safe Selfie Zones’
Port of Wilmington expansion expected to create thousands of jobs
Sports gambling is coming to Delaware casinos, and fast
Learn to lead digital transformation at Phorum 2019
Are you one of the 200,000 Delawareans with compromised Facebook data?
With VR tour Delaware 360, tourism goes high tech
May 10: Small Business Day returns to Dover
Pitch to speak at Comcast Labs Connect’s data security conference
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Delaware