Consulting giant Deloitte dropped its 2021 Fast 500 list this week, and DC-area firms made a splash.
The Deloitte list ranks growth among companies in media, telecommunications, life sciences, fintech and energy tech. Rankings are generated based on the percentage of revenue growth from the past three fiscal years. The 2021 list includes 16 returning companies who have made the list in past years, in addition to the new mentions.
Of the 500 listed companies, 24 from the DC, Maryland and Virginia areas made the cut. Three, GetUpside (#2), Expel (#18) and Truebill (#19) landed in the top 25. Since the start of 2020, Herndon, Virginia-based cyber company Expel and Silver Spring, Maryland-based fintech firm Truebill both raised powerhouse Series Ds at $50 million and $45 million, respectively. DC retail tech company GetUpside, meanwhile, continued its work in the gig economy via a partnership with Uber.
Though lower on the list, other mentions have also graced our headlines as of late. District renewable energy firm Arcadia (#173) landed a $100 million megaround investment in September and acquired Colorado’s iSolar this month. Rockville, Maryland manufacturing marketplace Xometry (#187) IPO’d earlier this summer and after a slew of its own acquisitions, Penn Quarter software firm FiscalNote (#184) is going public in a SPAC deal. After adding a new CEO in July, Cybrary (#232) also seems to be continuing on the upswing.
“The greater Washington area continues to be a premier hub for technology and innovation. The region’s tech sector benefits from access to a well-qualified workforce, the ability to attract talent and proximity to the federal government,” said Amy Holcomb, Deloitte’s area leader in technology, media and telecommunications. “Washington-area companies are a diverse group with companies represented in the technology, media, telecommunications, life sciences, fintech and energy tech sectors.”
Here’s who from the DMV made the cut:
- GetUpside, #2, 60,259% growth
- Expel, #18, 12,858% growth
- Truebill, #19, 11, 910% growth
- iLearningEngines, #58, 2,909% growth
- Centripetal, #78, 2,252% growth
- Gravy Analytics, #92, 1,768% growth
- Rhythm Management Group, #105, 1,390% growth
- HUNGRY, #121, 1,128% growth
- Uscreen, #123, 1,120% growth
- REGENXBIO, #106, 1,387% growth
- Arcadia, #173, 771% growth
- FiscalNote, #184, 739% growth
- Xometry, #187, 731% growth
- Cybrary, #232, 576% growth
- Urgently, #282, 457% growth
- Riva Solutions, #286, 452% growth
- Ridgeline International, #313, 395% growth
- Morning Consult, #345, 349% growth
- CloudBolt Software, #349, 341% growth
- Homecare.com, #350, 339% growth
- Clutch, #409, 282% growth
- Sayari Labs, #411, 278% growth
- Brillient Corporation, #431, 266% growth
- Fundrise, #464, 238% growth