Editor’s note: Every week we ship an email newsletter featuring the region’s most exciting career opportunities. We’ve lovingly called it This Week in Jobs (aka TWIJ — “twidge.”). Below is this week’s edition; it’s meant to live in your inbox. Sign up for the newsletter here.
If you’ve been feeling stuck and isolated as we near a year of social-distancing, a local labrador can relate.
Brady the dog managed to get himself trapped in a drainage pipe last week in Northwest D.C. No word whether the dog was simply trying to get some space from his owner, but local firefighters had to come to his rescue.
Firefighter Matt Owen, reportedly the skinniest member of the crew, was the one picked to crawl 40 feet into the pipe and pull out Brady. The dog emerged healthy and, presumably, embarrassed.
Next time you need space from your roommates or partners as this pandemic drags on, or just some quiet time to buff up that cover letter, I suggest a park, a car, or simply a room with a door that can close.
Technical.ly’s NET/WORK job fair is back for 2021. Visit companies’ virtual booths, chat live on video with hiring managers, take advantage of a unique talent-discovery and employer-matching opportunity, and more, all while browsing both location-specific job openings and remote work opportunities. It’s all happening March 18.
The name’s a mouthful, but they’re gobbling up serious talent: bwtech@UMBC Cyber Incubator’s CYNC has welcomed five hot startups to its latest incubator program. Unlike other incubators, CYNC focuses on helping startups in the cyber or intelligence community space, and specifically works with companies that are seeking to raise a seed or Series A round.
Now here’s some homegrown talent: The company that’s developing molecular technology for a new rapid COVID-19 test has gotten a veritable booster shot from UM Ventures, the commercialization arm of the University of Maryland. The cool thing about this test: It wouldn’t need to be sent to a lab to yield its results.
- The edtech platform EVERFI is hiring a Senior Web Developer.
- It’s a Scrum twofer this week: Guidehouse is seeking a Scrum Master …
- … and the mapmaking enthusiasts at Aerial Applications are also looking for a Scrum Master.
- Emerging Technology Centers, aka innovation space ETC in Baltimore, is hiring a Membership Facility Manager. (An aside: Could the alien be considered an “emerging technology?” Discuss.)
- “VP” has a nice ring to it: cloudtamer.io in Fulton is seeking a Vice President of Sales.
- Vectorworks in Columbia is looking for a Web Manager. Spiders need not apply. (“Web,” get it?)
- Vectorworks is also hiring a Platform Engineer.
- CareFirst in Reston is hiring a Lead Software Architect.
- POLITICO in Arlington is hiring a Software Engineer.
- If you’ve got friends in low places: KPMG U.S. is seeking an Associate, Low Code Developer.
- Modern Technology Solutions in Arlington is looking for a Junior Program Manager/Administrator. Did trebuchet manufacturers call themselves Medieval Technology Solutions?
- Pinnacle 21, also how I referred to my 21st birthday, is hiring a DevOps Engineer.
- Kibo Commerce is seeking a Software Engineer.
- The Tactile Group is looking for an MySQL Database Administrator/Programmer.
As if you needed another thing to think about, Valentine’s Day (ugh) is approaching. Thankfully, the Baltimore Sun is out early with its recommendations. But hey, a (free!) subscription to the TWIJ newsletter shows that you’re thinking of your partner’s future.
Good luck out there on the job hunt!
This Week in Jobs DMV: Popping Bottles Edition
This Week in Jobs DMV: Move-In-Ready Edition
This Week in Jobs DMV: Love-o-motion Edition
Power Moves: DC Fiscal Policy Institute and WireWheel have new execs
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Dc