Editor’s note: Every week we ship an email newsletter featuring the region’s most exciting career opportunities. We’ve lovingly called it This Week in Jobs (aka TWIJ — “twidge.”). Below is this week’s edition. Here’s the last one we published; it’s meant to live in your inbox. Sign up for the newsletter here.
Dumps Like a Truck
That backscratcher you just couldn’t live without, that ice cream maker you and your partner each ordered separately, that sudden urge to learn the banjo or fly fishing or crocheting that later died — those Amazon returns are almost all heading to the trash.
A CBC Marketplace investigation found truckloads of brand-new returns being brought to the dump. The good news is there’s a D.C. logistics firm working to fix this problem (oh, and it’s hiring). Shopping discretion can help, too. Let’s just hope your latest job applications don’t go the way of returned basketballs and alarm clocks.
Technical.ly’s Off the Sidelines podcast is back for Season 2. The investor education series is exploring how systems and institutions are evolving — and how to make sure those shifts are moving in a positive direction. First up: VC Nasir Qadree and author Kelly Hoey joined OTS for this season’s first episode.
Speaking of networks, what does it take to build your professional community on — yes — LinkedIn? Consultant Eva Reid, a senior analyst in D.C’s Office of the Chief Technology Officer, gives the rundown on what you can do — and why it’s absolutely worth it.
Put your money where your mouth is: The Baltimore digital services firm Fearless is matching donations to six local nonprofits in support of racial equality, plus another three groups in Montgomery, Alabama.
Are you launching a startup in need of local funding? Technical.ly compiled a list of 65 VCs in the DMV. They invested more than $1 billion in 2016, so start polishing off those pitch decks.
- Are you experienced? If so, Nava is hiring an Experienced Software Engineer – Backend.
- Blackbaud, bam ba lam, is seeking a Software Architect.
- If you’re familiar with golang, Morning Consult is looking for a Software Engineer.
- A defrag a day (but hopefully not that frequently) keeps the bugs away: American Association of Medical Colleges is hiring a Software Engineer to support a big modernization push by IT.
- Cision in Beltsville is seeking a Software Engineer.
- The energy and investment company LS Power in Baltimore is looking for a Software Engineer.
- Vectorworks in Columbia is hiring a Software Engineer (C++) to support its CAD product suite.
- This job’s a hoot: Owl Cyber Defense — woe to any mice with broadband — is hiring a Software Engineer.
- The financial services platform The Motley Fool in Alexandria is seeking a Python Developer.
- The cloud and network security firm Expel in Herndon is looking for a Software Engineer.
- Technology Ventures is hiring a Python Developer.
- No fooling, we’re totally cirrus: cloudtamer.io in Fulton is seeking a Senior Software Engineer.
- Academica Virtual Education is looking for a Remote Full-Stack C# .NET Developer.
- Planit Advertising is hiring a Digital Marketing Analyst.
In more positive environmental news, cycling in the DMV is soaring. Whether it’s commuters avoiding mass transit, families finding new ways to spend time together, or casual riders simply taking advantage of more empty streets, bicycle sales this spring were up 75% compared to last year.
Whether on wheels or your two legs, here’s hoping you make time to enjoy the fresh air. Good luck on the job hunt — and if you’re cycling, stay upright!
This Week in Jobs DMV: Cat Census Edition
Northern Virginia’s ID.me plans to hire 1,000 new employees as it eyes major growth
This Week in Jobs DMV: Office Drones Edition
On the Market: Comscore is in search of a new senior manager of software engineering
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Dc