Editor’s note: Every week we ship an email newsletter featuring the region’s most exciting career opportunities. We’ve lovingly called it This Week in Jobs (aka TWIJ — “twidge.”). Below is this week’s edition. Here’s the last one we published; it’s meant to live in your inbox. Sign up for the newsletter here.
Breaking All Four Walls
Can’t bear the prospect of spending fall and winter stuck at home, with little to no chance for travel? Consider “frilutsliv!” (We’ll wait until you get it right.)
This Norwegian concept, roughly translating to “open-air living,” promotes celebrating the outdoors and truly valuing your time in nature. Just don’t forget to bring a power source so you can still email that job application.
In the spirit of frilutsliv(!) — which feels like it should always be pronounced with an exclamation point — the Rosslyn Business Improvement District in NoVa is launching Outdoor Office, or O2, to offer a safe new coworking space for professionals going stir-crazy at home. O2 hopes to cultivate a “business-meets-fresh-air environment.” If it’s free of coworkers microwaving their tuna sandwiches, count us in.
Students and leaders from across Baltimore joined a nationwide campaign pushing Comcast and the Federal Communications Commission to both expand Wi-Fi access and recast internet service as a utility like electricity, gas heat and water. Students Organizing a Multicultural & Open Society is calling for high-speed broadband internet for all students to better participate in virtual learning. SOMOS and other organizations are urging the FCC to increase the minimum requirements for speeds that are considered broadband internet.
- Ordway is hiring a Full-Stack Developer. Also what I call myself at a card table. … Let’s keep moving.
- The professional development platform Cybrary — a name that calls to mind Terminator librarians — is seeking a Software Engineer.
- No reservations about this opening: OpenTable is looking for a Senior Full-Stack Engineer.
- Mapbox is hiring a Senior Software Engineer for the Developer Tools team.
- Now this is a cool gig: The Maryland Energy Innovation Accelerator is seeking applicants for its Hard Science Entrepreneurship. You’ll be matched with an experienced business executive to help launch a startup seeking to license and commercialize its clean-energy or climate-science product. This is a four-month, paid, part-time position, meaning you can keep your day job.
- The Baltimore City Office of Information & Technology is looking for a System Integration Developer.
- Amobee in Baltimore is hiring a Software Engineer with a knack for writing scalable, fault-tolerant server code.
- CreditXpert in Baltimore is seeking a Software Engineer.
- ElasticM2M, developing software for the Internet of Things, is looking for a Senior Software Engineer in Reston.
- Put your nose to this one: Grindstone in Herndon is seeking an Application Developer.
- DivvyCloud in Arlington is hiring a Software Engineer with experience in Python, cloud technologies and “efficient beautifully designed code.”
- Tribe Technologies is hiring a Remote Senior Full Stack Developer.
- Bookingkit, seeking to digitize and develop Europe’s tours and activities industry, is looking for a Remote Senior Software Engineer.
If it’s social excursions you’re looking for — and you can take or leave the outdoors — D.C.’s Hello Neighbor is helping people meet through meaningful conversations. The events are happening virtually for now, just remember to change out of your “job interview Zoom shirt” and into your “fun, social Zoom shirt” before you log on.
Good luck out there on the job hunt!
This Week in Jobs DMV: A Mouthful Edition
This Week in Jobs DMV: Final Destination Edition
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Dc