Editor’s note: Every week we ship an email newsletter featuring the region’s most exciting career opportunities. We’ve lovingly called it This Week in Jobs (aka TWIJ — “twidge.”). Below is this week’s edition. Here’s the last one we published; it’s meant to live in your inbox. Sign up for the newsletter here.
The Fox and the Newshound
Newspapers may be for the birds — but apparently they’ve got fur-coated fans, too. A fox in Arlington has been snatching copies of The Washington Post from residents’ from steps every morning.
The unorthodox approach to audience development has apparently won a loyal fanbase among wildlife: “So far, my experience of the two days in a row is it just seems to be exclusive to the Post,” a witness said.
Even among foxes, there’s nothing quite like getting the paper in the morning. Or they’re simply browsing the classifieds for jobs.
Dive into the glitzy, glamorous life of a Technical.ly reporter on our video and soon-to-be podcast series “Technical.ly On the Record.” Each week Managing Editor Julie Zeglen will pull back the curtain on a big story of the week — and always focused on the local economies we cover. In the first episode, Assistant Editor Stephen Babcock talks about “Pittsburgh’s Innovation Transformation.”
Who’s got four thumbs and will be talking some of the biggest issues in gaming? Tune in Thursday when John Fazio, CEO of Nerd Street Gamers, and Will Gee, CEO of Balti Virtual, will be putting their thumbs to work in a livestreamed game of Rocket League as they talk about the gaming industry with Technical.ly’s own Donte Kirby. The free event kicks off at 1 p.m. — just don’t spam the chat.
Live the full office-worker experience from the comfort of your home. With offices largely closed due to COVID-19, the D.C.-based food-truck platform Goodfynd has been directing its vendor members to residential neighborhoods — and it’s paying off. The Black-owned startup raked in $100,000 in revenue last month — not bad for the middle of a pandemic and financial crisis.
- Ordway, or another, is hiring a Product Manager. They’re gonna get you, get you, get you, get you.
- The civic technology company Nava is seeking a Devops Engineer.
- The civil engineering firm Tetra Tech is hiring a Junior Program Analyst for a business support role for the Federal Aviation Administration.
It’s all clouds in Maryland this week:
- Cloudtamer.io in Fulton is seeking a Senior Front-End Engineer.
- Cloudtamer.io is also looking for a Google Cloud Platform Software Engineer.
- And Epic in Baltimore is hiring a Senior Software Developer, Cloud.
- If you’re into AI, Appen in Arlington is hiring a Senior Software Engineer (Ruby).
- The education technology firm Hobsons is seeking a Technical Delivery Lead. Also what the FedEx and UPS customer-support people could be called, too (“Technically, your package was delivered. Just not to your house”).
- The threat intelligence and security operations platform ThreatConnect is hiring a Remote Senior Software Engineer.
- SemanticBits is seeking a Remote Backend Software Engineer.
It’s not yet clear what exactly the foxes are doing with their swiped copies of The Post. “We can only hope that those papers are getting recycled,” a local resident said. “At least they’re getting reused.”
Good luck out there on the job hunt!
This Week in Jobs DMV: We’re Hear For You Edition
This free training course aims to help unemployed Marylanders gain IT skills
On the Market: Black Girl Ventures is hiring for a content creator and 5 more roles
This Week in Jobs DMV: Happy to See You Edition
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Dc