Editor’s note: Every week we ship an email newsletter featuring the region’s most exciting career opportunities. We’ve lovingly called it This Week in Jobs (aka TWIJ — “twidge.”). Below is this week’s edition. Here’s the last one we published; it’s meant to live in your inbox. Sign up for the newsletter here.
Pour Out Some ‘Chuck
The founder responsible for transforming Trader Joe’s into a whimsical, affordable supermarket sensation has gone the way of instant miso soup and tofu edamame nuggets: News emerged this week that Joe Coulombe died Feb. 28 at age 89. From his first store in California in 1967 to more than 500 locations in 40 states, Coulombe helped popularize healthy (and sometimes quirky) snacks, plus California wines, ready-to-eat meals and a range of white-label products far cheaper than the competition — chiefly by buying directly from wholesalers. Pick up some Eve’s Apple Sparkled by Adam and bottles of Charles Shaw to his memory.
You’ve put in the work, you’ve blown past your benchmarks — now it’s time for The Ask: for that raise, that investment, that new job opportunity, heck, some extra vacation. Tracy Chadwell, founder of 1843 Capital, knows how daunting that can be. In the latest episode of “Off the Sidelines” — the investor education podcast produced by us at Technical.ly in partnership with Project Entrepreneur, a program by UBS — Chadwell talks through her “skillset of the ask.” Tune in to learn the key “three knows to a yes” — to make sure you get what’s coming to you.
Tomorrow! Join us at NET/WORK Baltimore, the Technical.ly-hosted tech job fair showcasing vibrant companies seeking talent and talented people seeking work — nothing stiff or stuffy about it. And if Wednesday, March 4, doesn’t work for you, or you’re closer to D.C., join us in the nation’s capital March 24 for NET/WORK DC. Be sure to use promo code “TWIJ” when registering for either event (or both!) for 25% off.
How far can a suit and tie take you? And what if it’s free? Christopher Schafer, founder of Sharp Dressed Man and the eponymous Christopher Schafer Clothier, has provided sharp suits and professional development to some 2,000 people in and around Baltimore working their way back from homelessness, addiction and incarceration. Schafer talked about his work with Between Two Founders: Check it out here.
- Nava is hiring an Infrastructure Engineer to join a small team helping improve and manage all aspects of Nava’s systems, which are deployed on AWS. You’ll make heavy use of Docker, Packer, Terraform, Jenkins, Statsd/Graphite/Grafana and other tools.
- Brainstorm Creative Resources, which is supporting an influential, national broadcast media organization headquartered in D.C., is seeking a Digital Product Designer.
- Tahzoo is hiring a Front-End Developer.
- 14 West in Baltimore is hiring a Senior DataOps Manager for the Business Intelligence Department.
- The Baltimore City Office of Information & Technology is seeking a Senior Cyber Security Engineer to oversee the security of information and computing resources at all organizational levels.
- Westat, an employee-owned corporation in Rockville that provides research services to U.S. government agencies, as well as businesses, foundations, and state and local governments, is looking for a Web Developer.
- Discovery Education in Silver Spring is hiring a full stack Web Developer with experience creating and maintaining scalable, dynamic, high-traffic web sites and applications.
- Puckett Marketing in Middleburg is seeking an experienced, passionate, and creative Web Developer.
- Spaceflight Industries, a next-generation space company in Herndon enabling access to space and redefining global intelligence, is hiring a Software Engineer.
- ECS in Fairfax is looking for a C++ Developer to support the development and integration of artificial intelligence and big data/cloud solutions.
- Crossbeam, which has built the foundations of a platform that’s transforming the way that businesses partner and grow, is hiring a Full Stack Engineer. The position can be remote or based from the company’s headquarters in Philadelphia.
- Interconnect Technologies, an SaaS company, is seeking a sharp, motivated Back-End Developer for remote work for a U.S.-based technology company.
- YouGov is looking for an advanced React API Developer to help develop its platform.
Fun fact: Trader Joe’s most popular products last year included Everything But The Bagel Sesame Seasoning Blend (no surprise), plantain chips, and its Mandarin orange chicken and cauliflower gnocchi entrees. Feel free to rely on those useful bits of small-talk while mingling at NET/WORK Baltimore tomorrow and/or NET/WORK D.C. on March 24.
See you there!-30-
This Week in Jobs: Carbo Loading Edition
Power Moves: Applied Insight, NetImpact Strategies and 3 more add to executive teams
This Week in Jobs: Forecast Edition
Rockville-based 3CLogic closed a $9M Series B funding round
Sign-up for daily news updates from Technical.ly Dc